History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in Langley Burrell Without, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4811 / 51°28'51"N

Longitude: -2.1055 / 2°6'19"W

OS Eastings: 392767

OS Northings: 175794

OS Grid: ST927757

Mapcode National: GBR 2SB.2HV

Mapcode Global: VH96C.G17G

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199423

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315990

Location: Langley Burrell Without, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Langley Burrell Without

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul, Chippenham with Langley Burrell

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Tytherton Lucas

Listing Text

LANGLEY BURRELL SWINDON ROAD
ST 97 NW WITHOUT (east side)

8/177 Church of St Peter

20.12.60

GV 1


Anglican parish church, c1200, c1300, C14 and C15, carefully
restored 1890 (chancel) by C.E. Ponting and 1898 (nave and north
aisle) by H. Brakspear. Rubble stone with stone slate roofs and
coped gables. Nave, north aisle, transeptal south tower with porch
in angle, chancel and south east chapel. Nave has coped gables
with original east end crucifix finial, c1300 west end with triple
stepped cusped lancets. South side has C15 flat headed 4-light
window with hoodmould. Hipped porch of c1300 with small upper
lancet and gargoyle each face, 2-chamfer pointed arch and
Perpendicular 2-light west window with hoodmould. Porch interior
has fine C15 tierceron-star vault with carved corbels and bosses,
tall plank door in pointed arched doorway, west side stone seat and
north side early C18 door to tower in raised moulded depressed-
arched surround. Cusped piscina. Three-stage tower, early C14 has
flat parapet, ball-flower frieze and large 2-light pointed bell-
openings. Second stage has deep-set lancets with trefoil heads.
Clasping buttresses. Bottom stage has fine but mutilated early C14
tomb recess with ball-flower and cusping. Eroded paired effigies,
said to be of Sir John de la Mere and wife, lord of the manor from
1304. Renewed large 3-light window over. East side has barbed-
trefoil head of a C14 window, the lower part lost for small late
C15 south east chapel, ashlar, battlemented with flat-headed 3-
light window to south (blocked) and to east. Chancel of c1300 has
south side,small boarded opening into sedilia and C15 flat-headed
3-light window. East end low angle and centre buttresses and early
C14 triple stepped cusped lancets. North side has one C15 three-
light window and two c1300 cusped lancets. North aisle has C15
lower pitched roof, ashlar battlemented parapet with finials and 3-
light windows on north side each side of C13 pointed door. East
end c1300 three-light window and west end c1300 cusped lancet.
Interior: Nave has C15 wagon roof with moulded ribs, plaster
removed, 5 bays on finely carved corbels. West window has rear
arch. Three-bay c1200 north arcade with circular piers, bases and
circular caps with sparse stiff-leaf carving. Slightly pointed 2-
chamfer arches. At west end a small additional arch added in early
C14. Fine moulded chancel arch of c1300, shafted with moulded caps
to right, carved leaf caps to left, keel-moulding between large
inner shafts and smaller outer shafts. Pointed arch to squint to
right and high opening to former rood-loft to left. Tower has
heavily moulded north arch, two ogees and one chamfer, head corbels
under ringing floor, renewed cinquefoil cusped rear arch to 3-light
south window and pointed 3-chamfer arch cut through 2-light east
window into south east chapel. Cinquefoil rear arch to original
window head, with fine carved head stops. North aisle has C15 low-
pitched 4-bay roof, moulded beams, rear arches to west and east
windows and mutilated canopied niche with smaller niche over in
north east angle. Chancel has plastered roof and two thin king-
post trusses. Cinquefoil cusped rear arches to two north lancets,
and traces of two similar on south wall. Fine pair of C14 sedilia,
the larger one with cinquefoil head and crocketed gable, the
smaller one cinquefoil-cusped. Cusped piscina. To right of
sedilia, broad C15 four-centred arch into south east chapel.
Fittings: Nave c1860 ornate font, C18 fielded panelled pulpit.
North aisle C18 baluster font, and large plaque to T. Ashe died
1823, signed T. King. Chancel has stained glass of c1900-10, north
wall coloured marble plaque of c1770 to E. Speke, two mid C17
plaques, east end good plaque with carved arms to Rev A. Lynch died
1691 and C18 turned baluster communion rails. South east chapel
has fine coloured marble late C18 memorial to M. Humphrys, signed
T. Paty & Son, c1695 plaque to M. Rayner and marble floor slab to
J. Ashe died 1704.
(N. Pevsner Wiltshire 1975 291-2)


Listing NGR: ST9276575796

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.