This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0933 / 51°5'35"N
Longitude: -2.2018 / 2°12'6"W
OS Eastings: 385964
OS Northings: 132684
OS Grid: ST859326
Mapcode National: GBR 1WJ.85G
Mapcode Global: FRA 6687.J13
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321285
Location: West Knoyle, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: West Knoyle
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: West Knoyle St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WEST KNOYLE THE STREET
ST 83 SE
8/179 Church of St Mary the Virgin
Anglican parish church. C13, C15, restored 1876-78 by J. Mountford
Allen of Crewkerne. Dressed limestone, tiled roof with ceramic
ridge cresting. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel and
north organ chamber and vestry. Gabled C19 south porch with double
C19 doors in moulded Tudor-arched doorway with square hoodmould,
diagonal buttresses and image niche over door, reset plaque dated
1767 records porch repair. Nave has C19 square-headed 2-light
window with hoodmould to left and two 2-light to right of porch.
Chancel has two C13 cusped lancets and pair of C19 lancets, east
end has C19 three-light Perpendicular-style window with hoodmould,
cross finial to coped verge, angle buttresses. Lean-to C19 organ
chamber and vestry attached to north side, Tudor-arched door and
trefoiled lancets, rendered brick stack. North side of nave has
three C15 square-headed windows with cusped lights and blocked
pointed doorway. Three-stage tower with moulded plinth, diagonal
buttresses, string courses; Tudor-arched west door with hoodmould
and 3-light Perpendicular window over, south and north side of
middle stage have- single-light Tudor-arched windows with pierced
decorative stone louvres, bellstage has 2-light Tudor-arched
Perpendicular stone louvred windows, moulded string course to
battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles, square stair
turret with small arrow loops on south east corner of tower.
Interior: porch with wooden plaque recording £50 grant to 1878
restoration, C19 planked inner door with ornamental hinges, pointed
moulded arch. Nave has 4-bay C19 arch-braced collar truss roof on
stone corbels. Continuously chamfered tower arch with C20 screen.
C19 chancel arch on compound shaft corbels, chancel roof boarded,
double-chamfered pointed C19 arch to organ chamber, pointed archway
to right to vestry, polychrome tiled floor and trefoiled aumbry on
north wall, chamfered trefoiled piscina on south wall probably C13
restored. Fittings: no pews, but choir stalls retained in
chancel, C19 communion rail. C19 polygonal pulpit with open
traceried wooden panels on stone plinth. C19 octagonal carved
stone font in C15 style, C18 octagonal pedestal font with
gadrooning retained. Painted Royal Arms hung in tower. Stained
glass in south east chancel window to George Vander Meulen died
1888. Monuments include segmental pedimented grey marble tablet to
Mary Willoughby died 1736, egg and dart moulded panel with painted
heraldic arms to Grace Carpenter died 1666. Five bells dated
1605, 1661, 1665, 1671 and 1887.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; W. A.
Mitchell, West Knoyle, 1978)
Listing NGR: ST8596432684
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings