History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lime Tree House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Harwell, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5988 / 51°35'55"N

Longitude: -1.2923 / 1°17'32"W

OS Eastings: 449114

OS Northings: 189121

OS Grid: SU491891

Mapcode National: GBR 7ZH.Q2Y

Mapcode Global: VHCYL.K25P

Entry Name: Lime Tree House

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1199929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249986

Location: Harwell, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX11

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Harwell

Built-Up Area: Harwell

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Steventon

Listing Text

HARWELL HIGH STREET
SU4989 (West side)
9/123 Lime Tree House
24/11/66
GV II*

House. c.1250 origins; remodelling of c1300; cross-wing to left of c.1360; C17
front, with early C19 alterations. Painted brick plinth; roughcast, probably on
timber-framing; old plain-tile roof; brick end stack to right. 2-storey,
3-window range. 6-panel door to centre with wood reeded surround and open
wood-trellis porch. Two 12-pane unhorned sashes with wood reeded surrounds and
cornices to ground floor right. Single 12-pane unhorned sash with wood reeded
surround and cornice to left. Three 3-light wood casements to first floor with
wood cornices, 3 cross-gables to roof with lead flats to valleys. Interior:
extensive remains in loft of mid C13 aisled hall with passing braces and
reconstruction of c.1300 base cruck and crown-post roof, cross-wing to left has
crown-post roof and C17 wooden dovecote. Arch-braced collar-truss visible to
main bedroom. History: home of Walter de Catewy, alias Walter de Harwell,
Sergeant-at-arms to Edward III 1341-1361, and of his son Thomas, M.P. for
Berkshire. Seized by William of Wykeham in 1370 and from 1392 forded part of
Winchester bishopric estates.
("Harwell, Village for a Thousand Years", Pub. Harwell P.C. 1985; The Bishop of
Winchester's Medieval Manor House at Harwell, Berkshire and its relevance in the
Evolution of Timber-framed Aisled Halls, by J. M. Fletcher in Archaeological
Journal, Vol 136, 1979, p173-192)


Listing NGR: SU4911489121

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.