History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Guildhall tudor Cottages

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stoke-by-Nayland, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9893 / 51°59'21"N

Longitude: 0.8905 / 0°53'25"E

OS Eastings: 598565

OS Northings: 236258

OS Grid: TL985362

Mapcode National: GBR SLZ.9YX

Mapcode Global: VHKFL.D84C

Entry Name: The Old Guildhall tudor Cottages

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200348

English Heritage Legacy ID: 278613

Location: Stoke-by-Nayland, Babergh, Suffolk, CO6

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Stoke-by-Nayland

Built-Up Area: Stoke-by-Nayland

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stoke by Nyland

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Nayland

Listing Text

SCHOOL STREET
1.
5377 (West Side)
Stoke-by-Nayland
The Old Guildhall
(Tudor Cottages)
TL 9836 24/878 10.l.53.
II* GV

2.
A fine C16 and C17 timber-framed building with exposed timber-framing
and plaster infil. 2 storeys. The upper storey is jettied on the whole
of the east front and north side on exposed joists, with curved brackets
and moulded shafts with capitals, and a moulded bressummer. At the north-west
corner there is a massive corner post and bracket. The upper storey is
divided into 4 bays and the ground storey is divided into 11 bays by moulded
shafts with capitals. 4 window range, casements with moulded mullions
and lattice leaded lights. There is the original 4-centred arched doorhead
of a former doorway. The house was restored at the beginning of the C20
and divided into tenements. The present doorways, approached by steps,
are boarded, with fillets. Roofs tiled, with a fine central chimney stack
with 6 octagonal shafts with moulded bases (rebuilt at the top) on a rectangular
base (dated 1619).


Listing NGR: TL9856536258

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.