This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.139 / 52°8'20"N
Longitude: -0.4704 / 0°28'13"W
OS Eastings: 504780
OS Northings: 250070
OS Grid: TL047500
Mapcode National: GBR G1Z.V6Y
Mapcode Global: VHFQ7.SHPL
Entry Name: Her Majestys Prison Governor's Offices, Offices, Boardroom, Security and Reception Block
Listing Date: 15 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200354
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350233
Location: Bedford, MK40
Electoral Ward/Division: Harpur
Built-Up Area: Bedford
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bedford St Peter de Merton with St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 0450 DAME ALICE STREET
1/10000 HM Prison:
Security and Reception
Original prison. 1801 by John Wing. Flemish bond red brick with
painted stone dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped pedimental gable
ends. Brick end stacks. Plan: Cruciform plan, the rear wing subsumed
into 1848-9 extension qv. 1848-9 'F' wing added on east and C20 wing
added on west. Exterior: 3 storeys. 4:3:4 bay south front, centre 3
in projecting wing with rebuilt pedimental gable with bullseye. Bands
at first floor and mid storey level. Plain stone window architraves,
sills, and bars; centre 3 in round-headed arches, the central doorway
with semi-circular fanlight and glazed double doors. Central 3 windows
on first and second floor are C19 12-pane sashes. C20 single storey
wing in angle on right; C20 extension on left (W) end and 1848-9 'F'
wing on right (E). Small first and second floor rear windows with cill
bands; the east wing's ground floor rear windows have round arches.
Interior: Not inspected.
Note: Bedford Prison was built in 1801 to the designs of John Wing
(1756-1826), architect and builder. In 1848-9 it was extended, the
perimeter walls (qv) and front entrance (qv) were rebuilt and the
flanking front wings (qv) added by Thomas Smith, the County Surveyor
for Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire.
Source: HMP Bedford, Prison Handbook, and notes. Circa 1820
illustration by Fisher.
Listing NGR: TL0478050070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings