This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0172 / 51°1'1"N
Longitude: -4.2067 / 4°12'24"W
OS Eastings: 245310
OS Northings: 126522
OS Grid: SS453265
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.JB3C
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.8YF
Entry Name: 16 and 17, Market Place
Listing Date: 19 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200922
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375873
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 MARKET PLACE
842-1/5/162 (East side)
Nos.16 AND 17
Shown on OS map as Nos 15 and 16.
Grocer's shop, now office; accommodation above at No 17. 1895.
By RT Hookway of Bideford. Rendered solid front; slate roof.
Red-brick chimney on ridge, off-centre to right; another on
left rear wing (visible from car park). Italian Renaissance
3 storeys. Broad front of 4-window range. 4-bay design with
pilasters of different styles supporting entablatures above
each storey. First and third bays from left are narrow, second
and fourth bays wide. Ground storey has panelled Doric
pilasters with a diamond-shaped panel in the centre. Above
each pilaster, superimposed on the architrave and frieze, is a
foliated bracket resembling a capital, the cornice breaking
forward over it.
Original display windows remain in fourth bay from left: 3
round-arched openings with traceried spandrels, the outer
openings glazed, the centre one leading to recessed,
half-glazed double-doors with solid moulded panels at the
bottom. Ceiling over the recess in front of the doors
panelled. Head of a matching window survives in left-hand bay.
Third bay from left contains a pair of recessed doorways (door
to right 4-panelled); panelled pilaster between them.
Second storey has panelled pilasters with foliated capitals,
the shafts with circular panels in the middle; entablature
with panelled frieze breaking forward over the pilasters and
having a diamond-shaped panel above each window.
The wider bays contain bay windows having rounded corners and
entablatures with panelled friezes; narrower left-hand bay
contains a 3-light window, and the third bay from left a pair
of windows with 1 light each. All 4 windows have sashes with
horns, the middle lights of the left-hand window and the 2 bay
windows with margin-panes. Third storey has fluted Doric
pilasters rising directly to a dentilled cornice.
Wider bays contain 3-light windows with shaped flat surrounds.
Third bay from right contains a pair of segmental-headed
windows with moulded architraves, buttresses at the foot. All
3 windows have sashes with horns, the upper sashes 9-paned, or
3-paned in the sidelights; the left-hand window, with flat
shaped surround, is now blind.
Front is finished with a panelled parapet, broken above the
pilasters by panelled pedestals carrying urns.
Rear wall (clearly visible from Bridge Street car park) has 2
rear wings, that to left (north) of exposed rubble masonry,
that to right rendered; between them a lower, flat-roofed
range. INTERIOR not inspected. Included for group value.
(Bideford Weekly Gazette: 1893-1895; Wilson: Wilsons Bideford
Directory: 1895-: P.23).
Listing NGR: SS4531026522
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings