History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Clement

A Grade II Listed Building in Truro, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2649 / 50°15'53"N

Longitude: -5.0519 / 5°3'6"W

OS Eastings: 182593

OS Northings: 45001

OS Grid: SW825450

Mapcode National: GBR ZF.XG5P

Mapcode Global: FRA 089B.9PX

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Clement

Listing Date: 8 January 1971

Last Amended: 30 July 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201542

English Heritage Legacy ID: 377614

Location: Truro, Cornwall, TR1

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Truro

Built-Up Area: Truro

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Mary Truro

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Truro

Listing Text

TRURO

880-1/4/304 UNION PLACE
08-JAN-71 TRURO
(North side)
CHURCH OF ST MARY CLEMENT
including Schoolroom at rear

(Formerly listed as:
UNION PLACE
TRURO
ST MARY'S METHODIST CHAPEL)

II
A large Wesleyan chapel and adjoining schoolroom. Datestones on the building indicate that the chapel was built in 1830 and the schoolroom in 1868. The building was modernised by Silvanus Trevail in 1885 when most of the interior fittings and windows were added. The chapel is in the Classical style, 2 storeyed, with granite to the western front and rubble with granite dressings elsewhere and a Delabole slate roof. Rectangular aisleless plan with galleries on all sides. Symmetrical 1:1:1-bay west entrance front has moulded triangular pediment with central oculus over quoin pilasters and pairs of pilasters between the bays; 3 round-arched first-floor windows with glazing bars and spoked fanlight heads; central doorway is flanked by free-standing Doric columns with entablature over; tapered flanking doorways have eared architraves; C20 doors. Side walls have later C19 windows with coloured memorial glass.
INTERIOR: panelled plaster ceiling with moulded ribs.
Fittings: all date to the 1884/5 renovation of the chapel and include pitch pine benches with galleries on all sides; columns to galleries; a large mahogany rostrum and altar rail.

Source:- West Briton 19th March 1885

Listing NGR: SW8259544999


This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.