This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5388 / 53°32'19"N
Longitude: -2.1299 / 2°7'47"W
OS Eastings: 391487
OS Northings: 404691
OS Grid: SD914046
Mapcode National: GBR FWKJ.P5
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.890X
Entry Name: Former Office Block of Platt Brothers
Listing Date: 10 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201671
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388893
Location: Oldham, OL9
Electoral Ward/Division: Werneth
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Chadderton Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD90SW FEATHERSTALL ROAD SOUTH
780-1/3/30 (West side)
10/11/87 Former Office Block of Platt
Office building. 1883. By PB Alley. Brick with stone dressings
and Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys over basement, 13-window range
with projecting corner pavilions and central tower over
advanced entrance bay. French Renaissance style.
Entrance up steps in round-arched entrance door with moulded
stone corbels and key to arch. Continuous string course across
the facade, forming arcade of round-arched lower windows.
Stone aprons below windows. Outer and central windows to each
side have paired round-arched glazing. First floor windows all
have stilted arched heads, and outer and central windows are
paired. Moulded string course and overhanging stone moulded
Steep hipped roofs over corner pavilions with blocking course
over cornice. Wrought-iron brattishing to roofs.
Central tower has stone plinth above main roof-line and
oculus. Modillion cornice below steep hipped roof surmounted
by wrought-iron balconette beneath clock, with ornate
brattishing above. End wall and axial stacks. Steps up to
entrance have stone plinth walls each side with cast-iron
rail, and stone piers. Return elevation of 3 full storeys, and
Rear range has advanced central block. 4 wide
segmentally-arched openings to ground floor. Simpler
detailing, with brick arched heads with stone springers and
keys to segmentally-arched windows. Roof lights in rear slope
of roof. Axial and end wall stacks.
The building was formerly the office block of Platt Bros., at
one time Oldham's largest employer and the world's most
important manufacturer of textile machinery. The building is
one of the few surviving structures from the engineering
Listing NGR: SD9148704691
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings