This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.543 / 53°32'34"N
Longitude: -2.1025 / 2°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 393306
OS Northings: 405160
OS Grid: SD933051
Mapcode National: GBR FWRG.MN
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.P60N
Entry Name: National Westminster Bank
Listing Date: 8 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201682
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388921
Location: Oldham, OL1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Oldham St Stephen and All Martyrs (Lower Moor)
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
780-1/1/57 (North side)
National Westminster Bank
Bank. 1902-3. By Mills and Murgatroyd. Ashlar, rusticated to
ground floor, with polished granite plinth and Welsh slate
roof. Flamboyant baroque style exploiting corner site.
2 storeys with tower, 7-window range.
Tower over entrance at left-hand corner. Polished granite
architrave with engaged shafts, bolection moulding and mask
between scrolls in frieze. Shallow swept parapet over, with
'Bank' in raised lettering. Tripartite sash window behind the
parapet. Modillion cornice above. Half octagonal stair turret
to left hand corner, and bow window with balconette in return
First stage of tower above has segmental pediment to cornice
and transomed lights. Upper stage has heavy volutes to angles,
and a pediment in each face carried on free standing polished
granite columns with balustrading below recessed windows.
Stone domed roof with fleche. Main range beyond entrance bay
of 5 windows, divided by coupled engaged Corinthian columns
carried on corbels above ground floor. Lower windows divided
by colonettes, 2-pane sashes in segmentally-arched shouldered
First bay distinguished by use of plain pilasters which carry
a segmental pediment with coat of arms. This is balanced by a
similar bay to right, which has subsidiary entrance in
segmentally-pedimented architrave. Modillion cornice and
balustraded parapet which is stepped up over pediments at each
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, Nikolaus: South
Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).
Listing NGR: SD9330605160
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings