This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4415 / 51°26'29"N
Longitude: -2.5608 / 2°33'38"W
OS Eastings: 361117
OS Northings: 171540
OS Grid: ST611715
Mapcode National: GBR CHQ.Q3
Mapcode Global: VH88V.K1K8
Entry Name: Parkside Hotel
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201988
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378919
Location: Bristol, BS4
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Brislington West
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Brislington St Christopher
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST67SW BATH ROAD, Brislington
901-1/56/426 (South East side)
08/01/59 Parkside Hotel
(Formerly Listed as:
Arno's Court Hotel)
House, formerly a convent, now hotel. 1760. Extended c1850.
Possibly by James Bridges, for the Quaker and copper smelter
William Reeve. Bath stone; roof not visible. Double-depth
plan. Classically-derived house with applied Gothick detail.
3 storeys; 7-window range. 2 full-height canted bays,
separated by the entrance; rusticated ground floor, plat
bands, successively narrower, at each floor and cornice level;
jutting crenellated parapet has corner blocks with sunken
quatrefoils. The entrance porch has a Gibbs surround with
frosted rustication and pediment containing a rocaille
cartouche, with a lancet arch inside and crenellated parapet
above, leading to side niches and a semicircular doorway;
round-headed niches with ogee mouldings above to each side;
the manner in which the porch meets the rest of the house
suggests it is a later addition.
Ground-floor windows are 6/6 sashes set back, with 3-part
segmented heads; similar sashes to first floor have an
architrave and ogee with trefoil moulding above, terminating
above the string in a finial; similar ogee over middle window,
but forming a cinquefoil over a semicircular opening flanked
by pilasters; smaller, 3/3 second-floor sashes; all have
Left-hand elevation has single range of blind windows to match
the front. Fenestration returns down right elevation for
7-window range, some blanked-off.
INTERIOR: originally had some of Thomas Stocking's finest
Rococo plasterwork, of which remains the fine trellised roses
and birds on the former Drawing Room ceiling, which also has
fielded shutters and moulded panels on the walls, an oval
centrepiece to stairwell ceiling, and cornices in entrance
hall. The staircase has been altered to a C19 imperial stair,
which fits in the original apsidal well.
Extended and converted to a convent c1850. Associated with the
Bath House, linked by a tunnel beneath the Bath Road but
removed to Portmeirion in 1957, Triumphal Arch (qv) and Black
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 166; Rowbotham T L S: Arno's Court
and the Black Castle: 1826-1827; Mowl T: To Build the Second
City: Bristol: 1991-).
Listing NGR: ST6111771540
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings