History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rotunda, Bastion and Connecting Wall Approximately 150 Metres South West of Goldney House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4516 / 51°27'5"N

Longitude: -2.6153 / 2°36'55"W

OS Eastings: 357337

OS Northings: 172694

OS Grid: ST573726

Mapcode National: GBR C3L.JG

Mapcode Global: VH88M.MS71

Entry Name: Rotunda, Bastion and Connecting Wall Approximately 150 Metres South West of Goldney House

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202106

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379245

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5772NW CLIFTON HILL, Clifton
901-1/14/786 (South side)
08/01/59 Rotunda, bastion and connecting wall
approx 150m south-west of Goldney
House

GV II*

Garden house and bastion with connecting retaining walls.
1753-7. Render and brick with limestone dressings, red rubble
retaining walls. Gothick style, based on Batty Langley design.
Raised round summer house connected to round bastion by a
length of raised walk. Buttressed retaining wall; summer house
rendered to the lower part, string over the windows and
cornice, with a W doorway and 4 south windows with ogee head
and moulded surround, 9-pane windows and half-glazed door, 3
round windows set in matching false N windows. Crenellated
parapet with ogee merlons. Surrounding brick wall with ashlar
blocks. Basement room with shallow dome. INTERIOR: a plain
bench to the wall. Built by Thomas Goldney as part of his
decorative landscape to the house. Formerly a rotunda of
columns to an entablature stood on the surrounding wall.
Possibly by either James Bridges or Thomas Paty using
Langley's pattern book.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 164).


Listing NGR: ST5733772694

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.