This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8965 / 50°53'47"N
Longitude: -2.2753 / 2°16'31"W
OS Eastings: 380732
OS Northings: 110816
OS Grid: ST807108
Mapcode National: GBR 0XF.ML9
Mapcode Global: FRA 663Q.Z80
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 4 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216617
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102630
Location: Okeford Fitzpaine, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Okeford Fitzpaine
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Okeford Fitzpaine St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
OKEFORD FITZPAINE GREENHAYES (EAST SIDE)
15/130 Parish Church of St Andrew
Parish church; west tower partially Cl4; rest of tower and parts of nave
and aisles C15; Chancel, vestry and extensive general restoration 1865.
1865 work by J Hicks. Coursed rubble, squared coursed rubble and ashlar.
Gable ended tile roof with stone copings. Partially in the 'perpendicular'
and partially in the 'decorated' style. West tower of 2 stages separated
by string course with large south rectangular vice turret, diagonal weathered
6 stage buttresses and embattled parapet. Recessed west window of 3-lights
under 2-centred bead with reticulated tracery. Loops to south and north.
Second stage has 2-light square headed 'perpendicular' windows. North and south
chancel windows of 2 and 3 lights with timing tracery. East chancel window
of 5 lights under 2-centred head with geometic tracery under 2-centred head
with label stops. Other windows 'perpendicular' of 2 and 3-lights under
2-centred and flat heads with stopped labels. Square set stager buttresses
between most windows. North porch has diagonal buttresses and gabled roof.
Moulded 2-centred arch with label bearing date 1866. Internally the north
and south arcades are of 4 bays, with 4-centred moulded arches. Piers with
4 attached shafts with moulded capitals and polygonal bases. 2-centred tower
arch marked by 2 smaller 2 centred arches on massive octagonal piers with
moulded caps and bases. Tapering barrel vault to west window. Chancel arch
is 2-centred with Cl9 moulded, carved capitals. Nave, south and ninth aisles
have C19 waggon roofs with carved bosses. Chancel has barrel roof with
carved bosses supported on carved angel corbels. Restored Cl5 stone pulpit
with niches containing figures flanked by pinnacled standards. North aisle
has Cl7 pews, some with arcade carving. Font C.1866 supported on carved
angels. Some early glass in north aisle. Other fittings mainly C19. Cl7,
C18 and Cl9 monumnts. C19 stone curving by Boulton and wood carving by
Grassby. "RCHM, Dorset, vol III", pp 200-202; Newman J and Pevsner N,
"The Buildings of England; Dorset", Penguin 1972, pp 306-307; Brocklebank
" Victorian Stone Carvers in Dorset Churches 1856-188O". Dovecote, 1979, pp 56-7.
Listing NGR: ST8073210816
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings