This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9355 / 51°56'7"N
Longitude: -0.7173 / 0°43'2"W
OS Eastings: 488284
OS Northings: 227108
OS Grid: SP882271
Mapcode National: GBR D1H.RGG
Mapcode Global: VHDTM.JM53
Entry Name: Lovett House and Wall Attached to Rear
Listing Date: 26 September 1951
Last Amended: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219292
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350781
Location: Soulbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Soulbury
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Soulbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 82 NE SOULBURY CHAPEL HILL
3/43 No. 1 (Lovett House) and
wall attached to rear
(formerly listed as The
Old School House)
House Very worn stone plaque to centre front is inscribed: "Lovett's
Charity School and Schoolhouse 17?" (1724 according to Pevsner and
VCH) Possibly designed by Thomas Harris of Cublington. Red and
vitreous brick with red brick quoins, window surrounds, first
floor band course and moulded eaves Moulded plinth. Tiled roof
with brick coped gables, and brick chimneys to gables and between
bays 6 and 7. 2 storeys and attic, 9 bays Main floors have leaded
cross casements with moulded brick sills, ground floor, windows with
gauged brick heads, first floor windows with moulded brick lintels.
Attic has 4 hipped dormers with paired leaded casements. Blocked basement
window to left of centre. Entries in bays 3 and 7 have 6-panelled
doors with rectangular fanlights, and moulded segmental hoods
on carved scroll brackets. Right hood slightly altered. Stone
plaque below central first floor window. Similar stone plaque in
chamfered brick surround in left gable end. Rear is more irregular
and has similar windows with gauged segmental heads, some blocked.
Bay to right of centre has gable above eaves cornice, and staircase
window. Interior has good early C18 staircase with twisted balusters,
moulded handrail and square newel posts with pendent finials. Small
stone fireplaces, stop-chamfered spine beams. Room to ground floor
right may have been original school room Short length of wall
attached to N.W. corner is of red brick with blue diapers and semi-
VCH III p.415.
Listing NGR: SP8828427108
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings