History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thornborough, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9964 / 51°59'47"N

Longitude: -0.919 / 0°55'8"W

OS Eastings: 474316

OS Northings: 233658

OS Grid: SP743336

Mapcode National: GBR BZ4.VW7

Mapcode Global: VHDTB.121W

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 13 July 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1232681

English Heritage Legacy ID: 408074

Location: Thornborough, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Thornborough

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Thornborough

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Leckhampstead

Listing Text

SP 7433 THORNBOROUGH CHURCH LANE
8/156 Church of
St. Mary
13/7/66

GV II*

Parish church. Remnants of Cll-C12 herringbone stone work in S. wall
of nave, C13 chancel and N. aisle. C15 W. tower and porch, all much
restored C18 and C19. Rubble stone, slate roofs to nave and N. aisle.
old tile roof to chancel. W. tower of three stages with angled
buttresses, rendered battlemented parapet, moulded arch to W. door
and traceried openings to bell chamber. S. wall of nave has parapet
and three Perpendicular windows. N. wall has parapet and three
circular cusped clerestory lights, originally C14. N. aisle has two
Perpendicular windows and doorway and one 2-light Decorated window
to west with carved head label stops. C19 vestry in angle with
tower. S. wall of chancel has original 2-light window with ogee
tracery and flat hood-mould with volute stops, similar tracery above
door. N. wall has half-blocked traceried window. 3-light E. window
has intersecting tracery. Interior: nave has N . arcade of four bays
of double chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps,
and C19 roof. C19 fittings. Brass to William Barton and wife 1389.
C18 wall tablets and pyramid tablet to Charles Wodnoth 1778.

RCHM II pp 294-6


Listing NGR: SP7431633658

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.