This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4663 / 53°27'58"N
Longitude: -2.2342 / 2°14'3"W
OS Eastings: 384550
OS Northings: 396642
OS Grid: SJ845966
Mapcode National: GBR DLN.XF
Mapcode Global: WHB9N.N49H
Entry Name: Manchester Museum Extensions
Listing Date: 3 October 1974
Last Amended: 27 October 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454842
Location: Manchester, M13
Metropolitan District Ward: Hulme
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Hulme The Ascension
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ 8496 OXFORD ROAD, Chorlton-On-Medlock
698-1/21/608 (West side)
03/10/74 Manchester Museum Extensions
(Formerly listed as
Extensions to the Manchester Museum. Designed 1911 and 1918 by Paul Waterhouse, and built 1911-1927. Paul Waterhouse died in 1924, and the contract was completed by his son, Michael. Sandstone ashlar, with roofs of lead and red tiles. Linear plan in 3 portions, the earliest to the left and the latest to the right. Gothic Revival style. The earlier portion, in Hotel de Ville style, 2 storeys and 5 bays, symmetrical, has buttresses, an embattled parapet to the 3 centre bays and slightly higher square parapets to the end bays penetrated by gablets, and a steeply-pitched lead-clad hipped roof with a fleche; large double-transomed 9-light windows at ground floor, large segmental-pointed 3-light windows at 1st floor with arched lights and 6-light Perpendicular tracery, and gablets in the end bays containing multifoils. Attached at the left end is a 2-storey entrance archway and bridge over the entrance to Coupland Street. This has a large 2-centred arch and three 3-light windows above, the centre under a gable, and incorporates a porter's lodge and curator's room. The central portion, 2 lower storeys and 3 bays, with gabled centre flanked by pilaster buttresses, has windows at ground floor like those to the left, and 3-light windows at 1st floor, all with cusped heads. The central window has Perpendicular tracery rising into the gable The right-hand portion is a cross wing with a facing gable. 4 storeys and attic in one wide gabled bay, with octagonal tourelles at the corners finished with arcaded pinnacles flanking the gable. The lower half is a giant segmental-headed arch with a projecting gabled porch which has a 2-centred arched doorway moulded in 2 orders with shafts, and is otherwise filled by a 7-light window with 14-light Perpendicular tracery; the upper half has mullioned 2, 3 and 2-light windows to the next 2 floors, a band of blind arcading between these, and an attic window with 2-centred arched centre and blind-arcaded surround. The rear of this range has mainly flat-headed windows in a grid pattern, and a central gable with a pointed arched traceried window, flanked by hipped dormers.
Manchester Museum Annual Reports, 1912, 1923, 1925, 1926, 1927
Signed drawings by Paul Waterhouse, 1911 and 1918.
Listing NGR: SJ8455096642
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings