This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4521 / 51°27'7"N
Longitude: -0.2981 / 0°17'53"W
OS Eastings: 518355
OS Northings: 173940
OS Grid: TQ183739
Mapcode National: GBR 81.7JS
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.SR9P
Entry Name: Doughty House
Listing Date: 17 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249955
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432171
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW10
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Ham, Petersham and Richmond Riverside
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Richmond
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 1873 RICHMOND HILL
22/25/3 (East side)
House mid C18 with later C18, mid C19 and early alterations. Gallery c1880 for Sir Francis Cook, extended 1915 by Brewer Smith and Brewer for Sir Frederick Cook is separately listed. House, stock brick, stone rustication and dressings, hipped slate roof. Three storeys and basement, five bays. Central 3 bays break forward under pediment. Ground floor and basement rusticated stone, stone doorcase with flat canopy on ornate piers with lion head brackets. Pair of oak fielded panelled doors under fanlight, reached by flight of steps over area. Windows all sashes, at first floor in stone pedimented eared architraves, at second floor eared architraves with linking stone cill band. Central first floor debased Palladian window, above a tripartite window with raised stone panels between. Pediment with modillion cornice and open occulus. Parapet with pineapples at angles. Right return of 4 bays central bays breaking forward under plain pediment, continuing treatment of entrance front. Interior. Ionic screen with added wrought iron gates and overthrow. Modillion cornice. Pulvinated doorcases with panelled linings. Stone stair with iron balustrade and mahogony rail, to first floor. C18 moulded dado rail. Early C20 niche to ground floor, C19 rear stair wall and niches. Double drawing room with Ionic screen on iron columns. Plain panelled walls, moulded dado. Pedimented doorcases with foliate pulvinated friezes. Eared chimneypiece with oak leaf pulvinated frieze. Rear wall pushed out early C20. Dining room walls reclad covering former panelling and door openings. First floor front room chimney piece with eared architrave and foliate pulvinated frieze. Flanking alcoves with shaped heads. Mid C18 doorcases and six panelled doors.
The Builder, 8 October, 1915
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings