History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

29,29a and 29b, Queen Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Leek, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.1065 / 53°6'23"N

Longitude: -2.0193 / 2°1'9"W

OS Eastings: 398805

OS Northings: 356587

OS Grid: SJ988565

Mapcode National: GBR 24Q.692

Mapcode Global: WHBCH.Y5LV

Entry Name: 29,29a and 29b, Queen Street

Listing Date: 14 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268555

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461679

Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Leek

Built-Up Area: Leek

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


611-1/5/105 (North side)
Nos.29, 29A AND 29B
and attached railings


Terrace of 3 houses. Dated 1877. Built by William Larner
Sugden for himself and his family. Brick with terracotta
dressings and plain-tiled roof. Queen-Anne style.
EXTERIOR: 2-storeyed with attics, an asymmetrical composition
with advanced gabled front of No.27 (Sugden's own house) to
left, and 2-window range comprising Nos 29a and 29b to right.
Queen Anne style.
Ground floor of gable has paired sashes with leaded and
stained glass upper panes in canted bay with small side lights
in the angles. First floor corbelled out with tripartite
window with terracotta mullions, leading and stained glass.
Dated with initials WLS and JMBS over the first floor.
Round-arched attic window divided by 2 mullions recessed
beneath overhanging enriched bargeboards with pendant finial
at apex. Stone brackets perhaps formerly carried balconette.
Terracotta panels with stylised flowers flank these upper
windows. Paired doorways in right-hand range, recessed
round-arched porches with stone canopy over. Doors with leaded
light in upper panel. Terracotta medallion over doorway of
No.29b with initials WS on foliate ground. Single small window
to right of doorway on each floor. Deep terracotta eaves band.
2-window range beyond with paired 2-pane sashes with
terracotta mullions in squared bay windows with shallow
lean-to roofs. Terracotta frieze. Similar sash windows above.
Deep terracotta cornice. Gabled dormers in the roof with
fretted wood bargeboards. Axial and end wall stacks enriched
with terracotta panels. Narrow bay to left of gable houses
passage through to rear with small windows above.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron railings in front of Nos 29a
and 29b, with fleur-de-lys on principal posts, scrollwork and
decorative central panel. A restrained but finely detailed
example in Queen Anne style, by a notable local architect,
whose work raised the profile of the town's architectural

Listing NGR: SJ9880556587

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.