History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter in the Wood

A Grade II Listed Building in Appleshaw, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.2396 / 51°14'22"N

Longitude: -1.5663 / 1°33'58"W

OS Eastings: 430372

OS Northings: 149021

OS Grid: SU303490

Mapcode National: GBR 60Y.6TC

Mapcode Global: VHC2Q.S3TL

Entry Name: Church of St Peter in the Wood

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279202

English Heritage Legacy ID: 140463

Location: Appleshaw, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Appleshaw

Built-Up Area: Appleshaw

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Appleshaw St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


7/3 Church of St Peter
In The Wood.

Parish church. Rebuilt on an old site In 1830, using a grant from the
'incorporated society for promoting the enlargement building and repairing
of churches', architect T.M. Shurmer. Rendered walls and slate roof. Of a
plain Gothic style, a cruciform aisleless.plan, most of the western arm (with
thicker walls) being raised as a tower; west porch. The very plain exterior
has pointed coupled windows (triple at the east and west ends) in the gables,
chancel and tower, with small windows placed high just east of the tower. The
tower has a parapet, and diagonal stepped buttresses, ending at the top as
square piers, crowned by slender pyramid finials. The porch has a 4-centred
arch: the side windows to the transepts are 2 (north) and 3 (south) light
casements of domestic scale. The interior appears as a long narrow nave/
chancel, broken in the centre by the segmental-pointed arches of the transepts,
and with a flat segmental plaster vault, stopped at the west by a tower arch.
At this point the ceiling rises inside the tower, to provide space for the
(virtually hidden) gallery. The north transept has a pointed plaster ceiling
and the south transept (slightly narrower on plan) a semi-circular plaster _
vault. The south transept serves as a vestry, with a doorway beneath the gable
window. There are wall monuments of 1785, 1798, 1807 and 1835, and a Royal
Coat of Arms of William IV, of 1831. There is a Victorian octagonal font,
but in the porch what appears to be the original font, comprising a very
slender circular stone pillar, on a square base, with a vase top, now
accommodating a shallow metal dish.'

Listing NGR: SP2947346468

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.