History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thropton United Reformed Church with Front Wall and Gatepiers to Manse

A Grade II Listed Building in Thropton, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3143 / 55°18'51"N

Longitude: -1.9564 / 1°57'23"W

OS Eastings: 402863

OS Northings: 602247

OS Grid: NU028022

Mapcode National: GBR G6SZ.7S

Mapcode Global: WHB0P.XPJB

Entry Name: Thropton United Reformed Church with Front Wall and Gatepiers to Manse

Listing Date: 21 October 1953

Last Amended: 25 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281695

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236663

Location: Thropton, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Thropton

Built-Up Area: Thropton

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Snitter

Listing Text

THROPTON THROPTON VILLAGE
NU 00 SW
(South side)
16/317 Thropton United
Reformed Church
(formerly listed
21.10.53
as Presbyterian
Church) with front
wall and gatepiers
to Manse
GV II

Presbyterian Church. 1863 by F.R. Wilson of Alnwick. Rock-faced stone with
ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Rectangular 4-bay plan with 3-sided
eastern apse, north-west porch carrying bell turret and south-east vestry.
Free C13 style. Stepped buttresses, moulded sill string. West end has
4-light window and coped gable on moulded kneelers; other windows are all
trefoil-headed lancets. Porch has boarded double doors with foliate hinges;
upper part steps back to octagonal turret carrying square belfry with trefoil-
headed openings, under steep gablets with sunk ornament,and spirelet with carved
finial.

Interior: Plastered. All windows with shouldered rear arches. Arch-braced
collar-beam roof with moulded pendants and king struts; similar half-trusses
over apse. Truss fronting apse has wallposts and cusped braces. Panelled
pulpit set centrally against east wall; numbered benches.

Low front wall with chamfered coping (rails removed) runs east from porch to
stop-chamferedgatepiers with pyramidal caps, holding C20 wrought-iron gate.


Listing NGR: NU0286302247

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.