This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.565 / 53°33'53"N
Longitude: -3.0703 / 3°4'13"W
OS Eastings: 329206
OS Northings: 408131
OS Grid: SD292081
Mapcode National: GBR 7W06.2S
Mapcode Global: WH758.TN3C
Entry Name: Tower House and Tower Grange
Listing Date: 17 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283590
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216432
Location: Formby, Sefton, L37
Civil Parish: Formby
Built-Up Area: Formby
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Formby St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
FORMBY GRANGE LANE
SD 20 NE
2/35 Tower House
and Tower Grange
House. One-storey central section said to be C13, part of
monastic grange of Whalley Abbey, but more likely
to be farm buildings of C17 or C18, restored 1904 by
C.A. Atkinson, enlarged by him in 1908. Lime washed brick;
roof partly thatched, partly patchwork of various slates and
tiles; much use of salvaged materials; internal steel frame.
Irregular plan, mostly of 2 storeys. Tower House of 5 bays.
2nd bay has gabled 1st floor jettied over canted bay window
and with canted oriel, some brick diapering. 3rd bay has
brick diapering and corbelled parapet to front and right
return. Some small-paned horizontally sliding sashes.
Range to rear has thatched roof. 4th and 5th bays of one
storey with thatched roof and stone slate outshut. Windows
are small-paned, rising above eaves, with cornices. Central
gabled porch has stone inscribed: TOWER/HOUSE", battered
buttress to left. Several brick stacks. Tower Grange of 6
bays, 1st bay adjoins Tower House, the rest are recessed.
1st bay has thatched roof and gabled window with
horizontally sliding sash and brick diapering below. Return
has gable-end stack with canted oriel adjoining. 2nd to 5th
bays have irregular roof pitch concealing flat central
section. 2nd bay has entrance with stone surround and 2
datestones, the lower one inscribed "LAID BY EWA 1908" the
upper one: "CAA/EWA REST 1904" (entrance repositioned). 5th
bay recessed, 1st floor window with banded tympanum. End
bay has 2-storey canted oriel with jettied gabled attic with
diapering and timbering, on 2 timber struts. Windows mostly
small paned casements and horizontally sliding sashes, some
are plate glass; small flat-topped dormer over entrance.
Sympathetically designed C20 garage to right return.
Interior contains many features, e.g. doors, staircase,
salvaged from other buildings. 2 ventilation shafts and
service duct under roof.
Listing NGR: SD2920608131
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings