This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2266 / 52°13'35"N
Longitude: 0.9394 / 0°56'21"E
OS Eastings: 600854
OS Northings: 262778
OS Grid: TM008627
Mapcode National: GBR SJ4.BBX
Mapcode Global: VHKDG.79HG
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284607
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280694
Location: Wetherden, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Wetherden
Built-Up Area: Wetherden
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wetherden St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 06 SW,
Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Parish church, mainly mid C14 and c.1500. C14 tower. Mainly flint rubble;
the south aisle has early C16 flushed flint with random squared limestone and
brick. The upper chancel walling is in early C16 red brick. Freestone
dressings. Nave and aisle roofs leaded, the chancel roof plaintiled. Nave,
chancel, south aisle, west tower. A small vestry of C14 to north of chancel.
Some good work of c.1330-1350 in the chancel. The east gable shows the former
roofline: diagonal buttresses with enrichment at the head, a reticulated-
traceried 4-light east window with an image niche above, and the carved base
of a gable cross. The vestry is integral and has a slit window with carved
spandrels. Moulded south chancel doorway. Heavily hoodmoulded piscina with
an enriched finial and blind tracery; a carved human head looks towards the
altar. Plain sedilia. On the north wall opposite is a good contemporary
Easter sepulchre. Large late C14 tower with main features on west side:
moulded doorway, the hoodmould with good human heads carved beneath. Image
niches flanking the doorway and another above. West window deeply recessed
with good tracery. 2-light belfry windows and grotesque gargoyles beneath
embattled parapets. Major early C16 alterations: the south aisle built for
Sir John Sulyard in 5 bays of which the western bay contains a porch. Over
the doorway is a frieze containing carved coats of arms. A continuous frieze
around the base of the aisle wall; flushwork arcading is interspersed with
panels bearing coats of arms.
The nave roof was rebuilt at this time, and
possibly its outer walls also. Fine hammerbeam roof in 9 bays. Each truss
has a pair of hammerbeams with pendant posts, from which rise arch braces to a
tier of false hammerbeams. From the backs of these rise further arch braces
to a collar beam and king post. All main members are moulded and there are
seated canopied figures beneath both wallposts and hammerposts. The aisle has
a similarly rich but simpler roof of arch-braced camber-beams with much
cresting. Arch-bracing in both roofs has rich and varied carving, and bosses
bearing shields or foliage are beneath intersections. Winged angels mainly at
the east end of the aisle. The chancel roof is of single true hammerbeam type
in four bays, of similar date and quality. C15 octagonal limestone font bearing
shields on the bowl, much restored; C17 oak pyramid cover. A set of 13
poppyhead benches to north side of nave, with animal figures seated upon the
buttresses: much restored, and the matching set to the south are C19 copies.
In the aisle are box pews of c.1800. A fine monument in the aisle to Sir John
Sulyard (d.1574) of limestone and marble. Over the tombchest are 4 kneeling
figures, and his achievement is framed by an entablature on Corinthian
columns. Beside it is a marble monument without inscription of C15/C16. The
C19 octagonal pulpit contains oak C15 traceried panels perhaps from a rood
screen. In the chancel floor is a slab with brass to John Daniell, d.1584.
In the nave are 3 others whose brasses are missing, and in the aisle at least
two others. In the aisle are 4 painted boards with achievements. For details
of heraldic evidence for construction dates of porch/aisle (c.1484 - ante.
1520), see The Buildings of England: Suffolk: Sir N. Pevsner: Penguin.
Listing NGR: TM0085462778
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings