History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Lea and Cleverton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5893 / 51°35'21"N

Longitude: -2.0487 / 2°2'55"W

OS Eastings: 396720

OS Northings: 187830

OS Grid: ST967878

Mapcode National: GBR 2R1.BTV

Mapcode Global: VHB38.F9SZ

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 28 October 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284841

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315723

Location: Lea and Cleverton, Wiltshire, SN16

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Lea and Cleverton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Garsdon

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Charlton

Listing Text

ST 98 NE LEA & CLEVERTON GARSDON

6/101 Church of All Saints

28.10.59

II


Anglican Parish Church. Early C15 (tower), the remainder of 1856
by Coe & Goodwin. Squared and coursed rubble with stone
dressings, ashlar buttresses and copings, Welsh slate roofs.
Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Two-stage tower with
diagonal buttresses with set-offs to first stage string course,
north-east corner stair turret and pierced trefoil parapet with
gargoyles below. West face has a 3-light C15 window under pointed
head to first stage with beast stops to hoodmould: pig to left:
single opening above. Two-trefoil-cusped-light bell opening with
pierced louvres to all faces. Four-bay nave with 3-light C15
style windows under pointed heads and buttresses between. Two-bay
chancel of similar windows; 3-light east window with face stops to
hoodmould Gabled south porch with pointed-arched entrance and
inner 2-leaf plank door.
Interior: open rafter roofs to nave and chancel; 2-bay north
arcade to vestry. Fittings: C19 Perpendicular style wooden
pulpit and octagonal stone font; wall monument to Sir Laurence
Washington of 1643 on chancel north wall: oval inscription panel
surrounded by a wreath and barleysugar columns supporting an open
segmental pediment with 2 allegorical figures.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: ST9672087830

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.