History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Black Friar Public House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Farringdon Within, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5121 / 51°30'43"N

Longitude: -0.1037 / 0°6'13"W

OS Eastings: 531684

OS Northings: 180948

OS Grid: TQ316809

Mapcode National: GBR ND.V3

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.5804

Entry Name: The Black Friar Public House

Listing Date: 5 June 1972

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1285723

English Heritage Legacy ID: 199713

Location: City of London, London, EC4V

County: London

District: City and County of the City of London

Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Within

Built-Up Area: City of London

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London

Church of England Parish: St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
London

Listing Text

QUEEN VICTORIA STREET EC4
1.
5002
(North Side)
No 174
(The Black Friar Public Houses)
TQ 3180 NE 14/400 5.6.72

II*

Public house. c1875, remodelled c1905 & 1917 by H Fuller Clark,
architect, & Frederick Callcott & Henry Poole, sculptors. Yellow stock
brick with granite & Portland stone dressings; mosaic, sculpture &
copper panel enrichment. Flat roof with 2 tall chimneys. Roughly
triangular plan on a corner site. 4 storeys & cellars. 1 window to
Queen Victoria Street, 1 to chamfered angle & 3 to New Bridge Street
return. Ground floor public house frontage extends around the building
with segmental arched entrances to both streets & the angle. Transom
& mullion windows with small panes above segmental arched cellar
lights. Above, a deep mosaic fascia carrying the words "Saloon / 174
/ The Black Friar / 174 / Brandies". Fascia interrupted by carved
panels, depicting drinking & devilry, which surmount entrance flanking
piers with bronze directional & advertising panels depicting friars.
Queen Victoria Street entrance with mosaic tympanum of a friar. Above
each entrance an elaborate wrought-iron sign with lamp. Upper floor
windows architraved; those to Queen Victoria Street tripartite with
enriched pediments to 1st & 2nd floor; angle with clock to 1st floor
&enriched segmental pediments to 2nd; New Bridge street with enriched
pediments to 1st & 2nd floor apart from that above entrance with
segmental pediment extending from doorcase. Patterned cast-iron window
guards. Projecting cornice & blocking course. Fine Arts & Crafts
interior clad in variegated marble with brass, mosaic, wood & copper
reliefs. Small, windowless extra rear vaulted room, known as the
Grotto, excavated from a railway vault, designed by Clark in 1913 but
not executed until 1917-21 owing to the war. In the main bar features
include the enriched fireplace recess, framed by a broad tripartite
arch, which encloses corner seats; grate with firedogs surmounted by
imps; overmantle has bronze bas-relief of singing friars entitled
"Carols", flanked by 2 friars' heads with swags above seats. Stained
glass window depicting a friar in a sunlit garden. Above the bar, a
bronze bas-relief entitled "Tomorrow will be Friday" depicting monks
catching trout and eels; above the entrance to the Grotto, a further
relief entitled "Saturday afternoon" depicting gardening monks whose
produce is coloured in enamels. Barrel-vaulted Grotto entered from 3
arcaded arches with bas-relief monks on the pillars. Mosaic vaults
with marble-clad ribs. Features of interest include end walls each
with a bronze relief, one entitled "Don't advertise, tell a gossip"
with a group of monks doing the weekly wash, the other entitled "A
good thing is soon snatched up" depicting monks pushing a trussed pig
in a wheelbarrow. On the cornice below, devils representing music,
drama, painting & literature. Side walls have 6 alabaster capitals
illustrating nursery rhymes, 16 smaller capitals illustrating Aesop's
Fables & mottoes such as "Haste is slow" in good electro-gilt letters
by the Birmingham Guild. 4 lamp brackets with alabaster figures of
Morning, Evening, Noon and Night holding up a bronze monk with water
buckets. Extra at one end with a relief entitled "Contentment
surpasses riches" depicting a sleeping monk surrounded by fairies,
executed with mother of pearl and semi-precious stone inlay. The
"window" below with red marble colonettes is an arrangement of
mirrors. Further mirrors in the Grotto enhance the small space.


Listing NGR: TQ3168480948

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.