History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables to Smeaton Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Smeaton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4364 / 54°26'11"N

Longitude: -1.4797 / 1°28'46"W

OS Eastings: 433848

OS Northings: 504683

OS Grid: NZ338046

Mapcode National: GBR LK34.GF

Mapcode Global: WHD7G.7RN9

Entry Name: Stables to Smeaton Manor

Listing Date: 29 January 1953

Last Amended: 13 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293727

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332401

Location: Great Smeaton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL6

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Great Smeaton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Great Smeaton St Eloy with Appleton Wiske

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Hurworth

Listing Text



NZ 30 SW GREAT SMEAT0N EAST COWTON ROAD
(north side, off)

6/37 Stables to Smeaton Manor
(formerly listed as
29.1.53 "Stables at Smeaton Manor")
GV II

Stables and cottages. 1875-8 by Philip Webb for Major Percy Godman. Red
brick in English bond, pantile roof. Rectangular in plan, 2-storey clock
tower flanked by single-storey 1-bay wings. To left the taller stable
block. To right a range of cottages, with single-storey central section
flanked by taller square bays. Clock tower: central segmental carriage
arch, with oversailing gabled roof. Above a diamond-shaped clock with two
4-pane windows below it. Below the eaves a series of ventilation (pigeon)
holes. Brick kneelers and coping. External gable stacks. Fox weather-
vane. Low 1 bay wings to either side, that to left with 3-light window. To
left corner a l-bay square cottage. Central 3-light window under segmental
brick relieving arch. Below eaves to right a small 4-pane window. A
2-light flat-headed dormer window to centre. Pyramidal roof with large
central stack. Behind a low long wing linking to similar cottage at other
end. To right of clock tower, stable block which stretches back forming
other side of the courtyard. 8 bays. Central 2 bays flanked by large brick
pilasters. Stable door to right of left-hand bay. Windows are 2-light
casements with brick relieving arches. Roof hipped. Stables still retain
original stable boxes.


Listing NGR: NZ3384804683

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.