History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yardley Hastings United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Yardley Hastings, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.205 / 52°12'17"N

Longitude: -0.7364 / 0°44'11"W

OS Eastings: 486447

OS Northings: 257055

OS Grid: SP864570

Mapcode National: GBR CY6.LNL

Mapcode Global: VHDS8.6V11

Entry Name: Yardley Hastings United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293748

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235571

Location: Yardley Hastings, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Yardley Hastings

Built-Up Area: Yardley Hastings

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Yardley Hastings St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Ecton

Listing Text

YARDLEY HASTINGS CASTLE ASHBY ROAD
SP8657 (West side)
17/171 Yardley Hastings United Reform
Church

GV II

Nonconformist chapel. Built 1813, extended mid C19. Coursed squared limestone,
slate roof. Single cell plan. 2-storey, 4-window range. 2 central bays break
forward slightly and have 2-light casement windows to ground floor with
segmental-arched heads. C20 doors to far left and right with plain pilastered
wood surrounds and entablatures. Doors and windows above are set in shallow
recesses with round-arched heads. 2-light casement windows to 1st floor with
round-arched heads. Segmental and round-headed arches are of contrasting grey
sandstone and all have key blocks. Pedimented gable with central keyed oculus. A
rectangular railed enclosure projects to centre; cast-iron railings with spear
finials and urn finials to standards. County fire insurance plaque to 1st floor
centre. Plaque between 1st floor centre windows with hood mould inscribed Built
1718/Destroyed by Fire/March 1813/Rebuilt and Enlarged/By Public/Subscription
1813. Long recessed panel above 1st floor windows bearing inscription YARDLEY
CHAPEL. 2-storey, 3-window red brick extension to right with side door. Fine
interior with galleries to 3 sides. Galleries have panelled fronts. Central
panel of gallery to entrance end breaks forward and bears clock face. The
galleries are supported by slender cast-iron columns with simple Ionic-style
capitals. Deep coved plaster ceiling. Later C19 pitch-pine pews and pulpit.
First floor room of extension, formerly Sunday School can be opened out to
gallery adjacent by shuttered partition to wall between, which is supported by
pair of painted stone or cast-iron baseless Doric columns. Originally a
Congregational Chapel founded 1672.
(Buildings of England: Northanptonshirei 1973, p471)


Listing NGR: SP8644757055

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.