History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Guildford, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.247 / 51°14'49"N

Longitude: -0.5712 / 0°34'16"W

OS Eastings: 499821

OS Northings: 150725

OS Grid: SU998507

Mapcode National: GBR FCC.LF1

Mapcode Global: VHFVG.1XWF

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 1 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294008

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289102

Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Town: Guildford

Electoral Ward/Division: Christchurch

Built-Up Area: Guildford

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Stoke-next-Guildford

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Guildford

Listing Text

GUILDFORD STOKE ROAD
SU 95SE
(East Side) Stoke
1/235 Church of St. John
1/5/53 the Evangelist

GV II*

Church. Nave, arcade and south chapel early C14, C15 tower and late C16 north
chapel; north aisle widened and church restored in 1858 by T. Goodchild; church
hall and extensions attached to south side of Church circa 1980. Hearthstone
and flint chequerwork on tower, knapped flint on north chancel chapel, flint and
mortar conglomerate on remainder; plain tiled roofs. Chancel with chapels on
north and south to east of aisled nave with porch and church hall to south,tower
to west end. Two stage battlemented tower to west with offset diagonal buttresses
and string course between stages. Taller stair turret to south east. One 2-light
round-arched louvred opening in each face of upper stage, only that to east face
not recut. Clockface and lancet window in west face. Deeply cut foiled-head 4-
light perpendicular-style C19 window in west face of lower stage over paired arched
doors with elaborate strapwork hinges in stone surround and under label moulding
with diamond stops. Four-light tall Perpendicular-style window in west end of
north & south aisles with trefoil cusping to window tracery. Arched two-light and
quatrefoil windows to south, one either side of church hall with further windows
to east of buttress. Offset diagonal buttress on angle of south aisle with C19
window in east end. Original Perpendicular-style window to east end with deep
splayed surround, inside and out. Unusual tracery with 5-lights and smaller sub-
mullions and triangular windows in two-centred head under hood mould. Three bay
north chapel with 8-light mullioned and transomed and 4-light brick mullioned
windows on the north side; 2-light window on east wall and two C19 2-light
mullioned windows on the north aisle.
Interior:- Three bay nave arcades on round piers with two plain chamfered orders
with columns on moulded bases and under moulded caps. Late C15 tower arch with
two continuously-moulded orders separated by 3/4 hollow moulding. Chancel and nave
separated by cambered beam. Chancel chapels of three bays, one bay to north
chapel blocked, the others on circular column and half-column responds; south
chancel chapel arcade of two wave and ogee-moulded orders with roll moulded,
circular bases. Fittings:- C18 font. Black marble octagonal bowl on white
baluster stem and black marble base. Early C18 communion rails; remainder of
fittings C19 and C20. Monuments - Early C19 tablets including one to Elizabeth
Creize (died 1804) by Bacon Jnr. North Aisle - Monument to William Aldersley
(died 1800) by Flaxman. Monument to William Parson (died 1799) in Baroque style
with thick marble surround and cherubs head above and below. Stained Glass:- North
window of the North Chapel commemorates the memory of R. S. Budgett (died 1888) two
sets of four lights to a design by Rossetti via F. J. Shields.

PEVSNERS: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.272-3.
V.C.H. SURREY (1967 Edn) VOL. III pp.372-3.


Listing NGR: SU9982150725

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.