History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

South View

A Grade II Listed Building in Low Abbotside, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.3143 / 54°18'51"N

Longitude: -2.0982 / 2°5'53"W

OS Eastings: 393709

OS Northings: 490968

OS Grid: SD937909

Mapcode National: GBR FLSK.K6

Mapcode Global: WHB5G.RT1H

Entry Name: South View

Listing Date: 9 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296981

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323187

Location: Low Abbotside, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Low Abbotside

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SD 99 SW
1 and 2, South View
- II
6 almshouses, now 2 cottages. Built 1807, altered 1880 and subsequently.
For Christopher Alderson. Rubble, stone slate roof. Single storey, 6 cells
with bay added to left. Quoins. Two C20 part-glazed doors in chamfered
ashlar surrounds with slab cornices supported on plain brackets. Original
window openings are chamfered ashlar surrounds with hood-moulds, now with
casements. From left to right: C20 window in recent addition; doorway; 2
original windows; inserted window; 2 original windows; blocked doorway;
inserted window; 2 original windows; doorway. Stacks between windows 1 and
2, 8 and 9. Right return: gable plaque inscribed "These Alms-houses were
appointed and endowed in the year 1807 by Christopher Alderson of Hommerton,
Middlesex, Esquire. A Native of Askrigg". Originally built to house 6 poor
women and called Dale Grange almshouses after the nearby site of Fors Abbey
which became a grange of Jervaulx. Reduced to 3 almshouses in 1880, and
recently made into 2 cottage. Hartley M & Ingilby J, Yorkshire Village
(1979), p 143; VCH i, p 207.

Listing NGR: SD9370990968

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.