History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist (Church of England)

A Grade II Listed Building in Thundridge, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.85 / 51°51'0"N

Longitude: -0.0213 / 0°1'16"W

OS Eastings: 536387

OS Northings: 218675

OS Grid: TL363186

Mapcode National: GBR KB1.TPR

Mapcode Global: VHGP9.LR3N

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist (Church of England)

Listing Date: 23 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308010

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161061

Location: Thundridge, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Thundridge

Built-Up Area: High Cross

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: High Cross St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ware

Listing Text

High Cross
TL 36 18 STANDON HIGH ROAD
(east side)

9/4 Church of St John the
Evangelist (C of E)

GV
II

Church. 1846. By Anothony Salvin (1799 -1881) for Dame Lousia
Giles Puller of Youngsbury. Tower added 1906. Ragstone with
freestone limestone dressing and ashlar battlemented tower
parapet. Steep slate roof carried down in flatter pitched
catslide over N aisle. Small copper spike to tower. In
Decorated style a square ended chancel, wider nave with 4-bay
arcade to N aisle, gabled S porch, NE gabled vestry, and SE 3-
stage tower with clock. Diagonal corner buttresses, gable
parapets and apex crosses. Single-light pointed and cusped
windows to aisle. 2 2-light and one single-light window to S
wall of nave. 4-light Dec. E window and similar 3-light W
windows. Interior austere with arch-braced open roofs on stone
corbels. Arcade with equilateral arches in 2 chamfered orders
and octagonal piers with C14 moulded caps and bases. Unusual
octagonal stone font with deep band of cusped panel work around
bowl. Stained glass: E window 1876 an early work by Kempe; W
window c1893 by Selwyn Image of Christ with Mary and John most
extraordinary for that date in its design according to Pevsner;
pre-Raphaelite 2-light SE window in nave C1893 by Helen Coombe
(Mrs Roger Fry). (Pevsner (1977) 195).


Listing NGR: TL3638718675

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.