This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9123 / 50°54'44"N
Longitude: -2.7949 / 2°47'41"W
OS Eastings: 344210
OS Northings: 112838
OS Grid: ST442128
Mapcode National: GBR MG.QV0B
Mapcode Global: FRA 561P.LYN
Entry Name: Former Sunday School
Listing Date: 18 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262402
Location: Merriott, South Somerset, Somerset, TA16
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Merriott
Built-Up Area: Merriott
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Merriott
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST4412 MERRIOTT CP SANDY HOLE (East side)
9/152 Former Sunday School
Former Anglican Sunday school, now used as part of Merriott First School (qv). 1834. Ham stone rubble; gables and
dressings in ashlar; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables having cross finials, metal ventilators to ridge;
later brick chimney stacks on west side. Single-storey, 5 bays. West elevation has hollow-chamfer mullioned windows,
2-light with segmental arched light heads and incised spandrils, set under square labels. To centre bay an
elliptical-arched recess under square label, with pair of studded and boarded doors, up a flight of 5+1 stone steps
with wrought-iron handrail. Above doorway a plaque inscribed "Redeem thy Creator in the days of thy youth - Ecc 12".
Extension on north gable behind wing wall, which has plain doorway. South gable has a 4-light transomed window to
latch, set high, with plaque over inscribed 'Merriott Sunday School 1834". East elevation matches west, except that
centre bay has a taller window with transome, the head being set into a gable. Interior not seen, but apparently little
altered. By 1861 this building used as a National Day School, then in 1875/6 became a mixed Board school, after the
erection of the Infants Board school across the road: both schools were merged as Merriott First School in 1972 (VCH
Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p61).
Listing NGR: ST4421012838
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings