History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Royton North, Oldham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5654 / 53°33'55"N

Longitude: -2.1258 / 2°7'33"W

OS Eastings: 391762

OS Northings: 407646

OS Grid: SD917076

Mapcode National: GBR FWL6.KN

Mapcode Global: WHB94.9NY2

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 6 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309507

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212452

Location: Oldham, OL2

County: Oldham

Electoral Ward/Division: Royton North

Built-Up Area: Royton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Royton St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Oldham

Listing Text

SD 90 NW ROYTON CHURCH STREET
4/48 Church of
St. Paul
- II
Church. 1884-9. By H. Cockburn. Rock-faced stone with slate
roof. Nave with clerestory and aisles and north-west
steeple. Chancel flanked by side chapel, organ chamber and
vestry. Gothic revival. 5-bay nave and aisles with
projecting plinth, sill band and corbelled eaves at
clerestory level. Each bay has a weathered buttress and 2
cusped lancet window openings to the aisle, and two 2-light
clerestory windows. All have hoodmoulds. Twin gables to
side chapel and organ chamber. Coped gables with kneelers
and finials. 5-light east and west windows have geometrical
tracery. Imposing tower with arched entrances to north and
west has lancet and round openings on the upper stages, two
2-light transomed belfry openings on each face, an octagonal
stair turret in one corner and a broach spire with gabled
lucarnes. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade on circular
polished granite columns. Scissor-braced nave roof on
columnar corbels. Arch-braced chancel roof. Stone font,
timber screens and fittings and stained glass (east window
by Hardman). Baluster font dated 1754 and Katherine Pickford
wall tablet of 1765.


Listing NGR: SD9176207646

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.