History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gateway, Approach Walls and South Wall to St Michael's Churchyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Barningham, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4883 / 54°29'17"N

Longitude: -1.8695 / 1°52'10"W

OS Eastings: 408548

OS Northings: 510339

OS Grid: NZ085103

Mapcode National: GBR HJDJ.1T

Mapcode Global: WHC5Y.7GZ0

Entry Name: Gateway, Approach Walls and South Wall to St Michael's Churchyard

Listing Date: 28 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1310727

English Heritage Legacy ID: 111625

Location: Barningham, County Durham, DL11

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Barningham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Barningham St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Newsham

Listing Text

NZ 0810 BARNINGHAM BARNINGHAM VILLAGE
(North side)

15/36 Gateway, approach
walls and south
wall to St.
Michael's Churchyard

GV II

Churchyard gateway and walls. Gateway later C19; walls of several C18 and
C19 builds. Gateway tooled ashlar with wrought-iron gates; walls coursed
rubble with some cut dressings. Patterned double gates in double-chamfered
pointed archway with foliage stops to hoodmould. Memorial inscription to
Lady Augusta Milbank, d.1874, in quatrefoil panel under coped gable with cross
fleury finial. Flat-coped walls 2.5 metres high flank approach lane to
churchyard; at far end boarded door in left wall with lintel dated 1840; and
late C19 attached piers with gabled tops; beside left pier part of a medieval
cross slab built into wall. Similar wall on south side of churchyard extends
15 metres east of entry, and west to south-west corner of churchyard. Set
against the wall west of entry are four C18 headstones and 2 medieval slabs,
one with 6-arm cross, sword and ?knife.


Listing NGR: NZ0854810339

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.