This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5476 / 51°32'51"N
Longitude: -0.8378 / 0°50'16"W
OS Eastings: 480681
OS Northings: 183826
OS Grid: SU806838
Mapcode National: GBR C4N.YTB
Mapcode Global: VHDWH.FCFG
Entry Name: Medmenham Abbey, Abbey House and Wall with Arch to Forecourt
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Last Amended: 8 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310928
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47008
Location: Medmenham, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7
Civil Parish: Medmenham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Medmenham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
MEDMENHAM FERRY LANE
SU 88 SW
8/125 Medmenham Abbey, Abbey House
and wall with arch to forecourt
(formerly listed as Medmenham
Former mansion, now 2 houses, on site of and possibly incorporating
some masonry of Cistercian Abbey of St. Mary. 1595 for Sir Francis
Duffield; ruined folly tower and "cloister" arcade added to S.E. 1755
by Nicholas Revett for Sir Francis Dashwood and the Medmenham Club;
W. wing added and remainder very much restored 1898 by Romaine Walker
for Mr. Robert Hudson of Danesfield. Dressed chalk block, the tower
and N. wing partly of flint. Upper storey of walls facing W. court,
and small section of E. front are half-timbered with herringbone
brick infill. Only E. porch, N. wing and C18 follies retain much
original masonry. Plain tile roofs, brick chimneys with 'V'
pilasters and off-set heads. 2 storeys and attic. E. front is E-plan
with off-centre 3-storey gabled porch. Irregular moulded mullion
and transom windows, mostly of chalk but wooden in half-timbered parts.
2 gabled dormers. Porch and right gable have Tudor hoodmoulds over
windows, and c1900 coped gables with small ball finials. Porch also
has moulded and stopped doorway with frieze, hoodmould and lozenge
panel above. Frieze is inscribed "Fay ce que voudras", the motto of
the Medmenham Club. Single storey flat roofed extension infront of
bays to left of porch; another small extension in right angle.
Attached to front of left wing is C18 folly tower, with ruinous
outline, buttresses, arches, and traceried 2-light windows to S. and
W. sides. Arches are moulded and 2-centred, on semi-quatrefoil piers
with slender angle shafts and moulded caps. E. arch is taller than
those to N. and S. Lower bay with similar arches to left. S. front
has C18 "cloister" with 4 bays of moulded arches to right. 2 dormers
with cross casements and coped gables above. Other fenestration
inserted 1898 and C20. Gabled bay and 1898 extension to left.
Interior remodelled 1899 and C20.Medmenham Abbey and its grounds
provided the setting for meetings of the notorious Medmenham Club or
Order of St. Francis of Wycombe, later known as The Hell-Fire Club,
in the late 1750s.
RCHM I p. 255 Mon.2.
VCH III p. 85.
Listing NGR: SU8068183826
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings