This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4368 / 51°26'12"N
Longitude: -2.855 / 2°51'18"W
OS Eastings: 340664
OS Northings: 171209
OS Grid: ST406712
Mapcode National: GBR JC.NQLB
Mapcode Global: VH7C7.G4JX
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 22 January 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312770
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33125
Location: Clevedon, North Somerset, BS21
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Clevedon
Built-Up Area: Clevedon
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
CLEVEDON ST JOHN'S ROAD
1/15 Church of St John
Church. 1875-6, by William Butterfield for Sir Arthur Elton. Squared and coursed local stone, with Bath stone banding and dressings; plain tile roof. Nave with aisles, transepts and south-west tower with saddleback roof; new porch and second
vestry added 1883-4. Exterior designed in a robust Gothic Revival style typical of Butterfield, with paired lancets to aisles and otherwise an imaginative use of Middle Pointed tracery to all windows, including a rose window to the north
transept, combined with a robust handling of the principal elements. Interior: narrow aisles with arcades on square chamfered piers without capitals. Pulpit and choir fittings of oak and walnut intermixed; patterned plain and encaustic tiles, with an effective use of Devonshire and other marbles in the chancel. Lower part of walls in nave and aisles lined with red and other coloured Staffordshire tiles. Finely-carpentered roof throughout, with a brattished cornice and deep canted arch bracing to nave. Due to subsidence the stone arch dividing the interior has been replaced by a girder and iron screen by C.S. Hare, 1909. Glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Lady Chapel fitted by Hare. The chancel reredos
originally had marble cross surrounded by four Evangelistic emblems in mosaic on gold grounds.
Listing NGR: ST4066471209
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings