History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Knole Hill Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Chew Magna, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3471 / 51°20'49"N

Longitude: -2.6014 / 2°36'4"W

OS Eastings: 358211

OS Northings: 161061

OS Grid: ST582610

Mapcode National: GBR JQ.V8D1

Mapcode Global: VH896.VDMN

Entry Name: Knole Hill Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312972

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32943

Location: Chew Magna, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Chew Magna

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Chew Magna

Listing Text

ST 56 SE CHEW MAGNA C.P. KNOWLE HILL (south side)

3/48 Knole Hill Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse. Dated 1763 on rear, as C18 remodelling of probably earlier building
with early C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Sandstone rubble with
limestone dressings, limestone rubble to rear, part rendered, canted bays rendered and lined out, double Roman tiled roofs with raised coped verges, diagonal brick coping and brick gable stacks. 2 storeys and 3 windows, central 6-panelled door in moulded architrave with flat stone hood on console brackets, sash above in moulded architrave with floating cornice, canted bay through 2 storeys to each side with sash to front at ground and first floor, 8-pane sash to each side, raised long and short quoins rising above parapet with moulded coping ramped down at sides. To right, 2-storey addition with pitched roof and sash at first floor, to left single storey lean-to. Right return of 2 storeys and 4 windows, all C19 with brick segmental heads, varied windows under eaves, external stair to first floor door, central cellar door, lean-to to rear. Left return has no windows to main house, lean-to with door and external stair and blocked window. Rear has 3 projecting wings, to left with steeply pitched roof, C20 window at ground and first floor, with lean-to, rendered; central taller gabled wing with stack has C20 first floor window, rendered, C20 single storey addition and lean-to, C20 window to inner side at ground, first and 2nd floor with segmental stone head; taller gabled wing to right, dated 1763, has ground and 2nd floor C20 pivoted sash, porch in angle with main house has door in heavy wooden frame with strap hinges; rear of main house has 3-light C19 casement with timber lintel at ground floor, large plate-glass window at first floor with brick segmental head and sides; rear of lean-to to right has door with strap hinges and cambered head, small single light above with timber lintel, formerly a larger opening. Interior: not inspected.


Listing NGR: ST5821161061

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.