This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7908 / 53°47'27"N
Longitude: -1.7571 / 1°45'25"W
OS Eastings: 416098
OS Northings: 432752
OS Grid: SE160327
Mapcode National: GBR JJL.7N
Mapcode Global: WHC98.ZZF7
Entry Name: Glyde House
Listing Date: 9 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314465
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336750
Location: Bradford, BD5
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Horton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 LITTLE HORTON LANE BD5
SE 1632 46/738
Built as a chapel school and named after a popular minister, Jonathan Glyde, who
established the Town Mission. Lockwood and Hawson won its competition, held in
1860, for a chapel and school in Horton Lane. The buildings were completed in
1862 but the chapel has been demolished. The remaining school is a 2 storey
building raised on a podium basement, and designed in a restrained Dutch Jacobean
Renaissance manner. Shaped gabled wings flank a recessed centre screened by a
columned loggia. Pitched face sandstone "bricks" with ashlar dressings. Faceted-block
banded quoin pilasters to ground floor of wings with rusticated quoins above.
Obelisk finials flanking gable copings. The two columns of the loggia have
faceted-blocks to shafts, pierced parapet above. Bold, spaced voussoirs to arches
of ground floor windows. The first floor windows of wings are given a more
Baroque dressing: aedicule surrounds with segmental open pediments and pierced
stone balconettes. Welsh slate roofs and moulded stone eaves. Glyde House is
prominently sited on the hillside at the foot of Little Horton Lane.
Listing NGR: SE1609832752
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings