History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Westminster Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Town, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5227 / 53°31'21"N

Longitude: -1.1334 / 1°8'0"W

OS Eastings: 457553

OS Northings: 403241

OS Grid: SE575032

Mapcode National: GBR NWJP.FY

Mapcode Global: WHDD2.KQJ9

Entry Name: Westminster Building

Listing Date: 5 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335046

Location: Doncaster, DN1

County: Doncaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Doncaster

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Doncaster

Listing Text

TOWN OF DONCASTER HIGH STREET
SE 5703 SE (south side)

7/51 No 40, Westminster Building

GV II

House, now shops and offices. 1780, built for James Whitaker wine merchant, rebuilt
except for facade in c1920 and with later alterations. Mosaiced stone with stone
dressings and slate roof. Three storeys, 5 bays, 1:3:1, with two storey, single
bay wings. Four C20 shop fronts across full width of ground floor, entrance to
upper storeys to bay 5. Central five bays have giant Ionic type pilasters to
corners and between bays, to first and second floors. Central 3 bays project
slightly and are pedimented. First floor has five full height openings with 1920's
metal glazing; side bays have similar glazing to semi-circular headed windows with
projecting sills. Above to second floor a plain sill band,broken by the pilasters,
with slightly projecting sills to five smaller original openings, again with 1920's
glazing. All windows with slightly projecting architraves. Side bays have eaves
bands and balustraded parapets. Full entablature to main block with dosserets over
the corner pilasters, dentilled cornice, central pediment and low blocking course.
Brick end stacks. The building is covered in 1920's pale blue mosaic with dark
blue mosaic architraves to windows and gold, white and blue decorative motifs above
the first floor windows. Interior completely renewed.


Listing NGR: SE5755303241

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.