This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5229 / 53°31'22"N
Longitude: -1.1337 / 1°8'1"W
OS Eastings: 457529
OS Northings: 403268
OS Grid: SE575032
Mapcode National: GBR NWJP.BV
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.KQC3
Entry Name: 43, High Street
Listing Date: 11 April 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314866
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335049
Location: Doncaster, DN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TOWN OF DONCASTER HIGH STREET
SE 5703 SE (south side) )
7/54 No 43
Facade to former Subscription Rooms. 1826 by Woodhead and Hurst, rooms behind
demolished c1970. Painted ashlar, concealed roof. Single bay, single tall storey.
Distyle portico in antis with pair of central Ionic columns flanked by Tuscan antae.
Plain entablature with moulded cornice. Parapet has moulded plinth and coping,
and three rectangular panels, those to sides balustraded and that to centre with
laurel leaf swag and drops hanging from moulded paterae. Above to centre anthemion
acroteria on stepped base. Within, the portico has a grid beamed ceiling with
moulded cornices. To rear wall there are three blocked openings flanked by full-
height pilasters. Recessed rectangular panels over side openings and circular
recess above central one with scrolled decoration to sides. Built as the
Subscription or Betting Rooms with 100 members paying a guinea a year. It was one
of the biggest gambling centres in the country during race week and was used for
Hazard and Roulette. After gaming became illegal, the building was used for a
variety of functions, until most of the building was demolished. Partly listed
for historical interest. Photographs of original interiors in NMR.
Listing NGR: SE5752603254
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings