History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Presbytery to St Wilfreds Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Ripon, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1386 / 54°8'19"N

Longitude: -1.5258 / 1°31'32"W

OS Eastings: 431079

OS Northings: 471523

OS Grid: SE310715

Mapcode National: GBR KNSL.G5

Mapcode Global: WHC7V.J7NL

Entry Name: Presbytery to St Wilfreds Church

Listing Date: 16 January 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315512

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330263

Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Ripon

Built-Up Area: Ripon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 37 SW RIPON TRINITY LANE
(south east side)
1/313
Presbytery to
GV St Wilfred's Church

II

Presbytery. 1858-62. Designed by J A Hanson in the Gothic Revival style. Coursed
rubble with ashlar dressings and banded slate roof with coped gables. 4 chimneys,
one retains moulded ashlar stacks, two rebuilt in brick and are reduced. Chamfered
plinth. West front, 7 very irregular bays. Off centre doorway with pointed
surround and plank door with ornate iron hinges, flanked by single tall lancets with
sashes, in lean-to porch with above a 3 light mullion window with sashes. To left a
projecting semi-circular stair turret, with 3 rising lancets with plate tracery,
moulded cill band, red sandstone impost band and alternate voussoirs. To the left
single storey wing with 2 lancets, and beyond a 2 storey gabled cross wing. To the
right a broader gabled cross wing with pairs of segment headed sashes either side a
buttress which supports the canted oriel windows above, also with segment headed
sashes and pairs of pointed overlights, plus hipped stone roof. Beyond to right a
single narrow sash and above a pair of plain sashes.


Listing NGR: SE3107971523

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.