This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.373 / 54°22'22"N
Longitude: -1.0461 / 1°2'45"W
OS Eastings: 462066
OS Northings: 497923
OS Grid: SE620979
Mapcode National: GBR PK4W.B4
Mapcode Global: WHF95.XB1W
Entry Name: Millers House
Listing Date: 24 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328857
Location: Bransdale, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bransdale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kirkbymoorside All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
BRANSDALE HODGE BECK
SE 69 NE
3/23 Miller's House
House. Late C18; extended 1817 (on datestone); altered to link with mill,
porch and dairy added, in 1837 (on datestone); restored C20. For William
Strickland. Herringbone-tooled sandstone with pantile and slate roofs.
Originally 2-cell, direct-entry plan; irregular in plan following alteration
and extension. 2-storey, 2-window front with lower 2-storey, single-window
connecting bay at right angles to left. Entrance in porch to rear. All
windows are renewed 16-pane sashes in original openings, with stone sills.
Lintels to original house are diagonally tooled and wedge-shaped; lintels in
connecting bay are vertically tooled. Beneath ground-floor left window are
stone steps leading to a board cellar door with a tooled wedge lintel.
Coped gable ends to original house. Vestigial stacks to right end of both
roofs. Rear: gabled porch contains datestone inscribed:
Per me, E Strickland, B.A. Coll. Reg. Cantab.
Vicarium, Ingleby Greenhow, Cleveland,
and including texts from Proverbs IV 7 in Hebrew and Thessalonians V, 16-17
in Greek. Door lintel to extension at rear inscribed:
W.S. A.D. 1817
Interior. Cellar: barrel-vauLted roof of herringbone-tooled stone. Ground
floor, original house: porch has small fireplace in plain surround. Room to
left has early C19 stone chimney-piece with reeded jambs, imposts and
moulded cornice shelf. Room in connecting bay: stone chimney-piece with a
segmental arch carved in low relief from a monolithic lintel on coved
imposts and plain jambs. A complete mid C19 range by Carter of
Kirkbymoorside survives. Room in extension: partly altered fireplace with
double cyma reversa shelf brackets. House unoccupied and under restoration
by The National Trust at time of resurvey.
Listing NGR: SE6206697923
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings