This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3204 / 52°19'13"N
Longitude: 1.152 / 1°9'7"E
OS Eastings: 614912
OS Northings: 273822
OS Grid: TM149738
Mapcode National: GBR TJL.J1Q
Mapcode Global: VHL9F.XYC1
Entry Name: The Cottage the Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 15 June 1951
Last Amended: 12 February 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468332
Location: Eye, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Eye
Built-Up Area: Eye (Mid Suffolk)
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Eye St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM1473 CHURCH STREET
585-1/7/79 (East side)
15/06/51 The Old Vicarage and The Cottage
(Formerly Listed as:
Vicarage, now private houses. Mid C16 north-south wing with
south front added 1723 for Rev.John Burgate, refenestrated
1733. Interior reordered 1899 and alterations made. Plastered
and colourwashed timber frame, the plaster raised in panels to
south front. Machine tile roof to facade, otherwise pantiles.
EXTERIOR: south front of 2 storeys in 6-window range. Mid C19
6-panelled and fielded door in centre beneath hood mould on
label stops. Three 2-light timber and metal mid C19 casements
to left, 4 to right of doorway. 6 similar first-floor
casements, that to centre of 3 lights. Gabled roof. 2 rebuilt
ridge stacks. West return with bay window added 1899. East
front presents 4 gables of varying heights and pitch, that to
left belonging to 1723 facade. Brick plinths. Scattered
fenestration of C19 casements.
North gable (The Cottage) has brick to ground floor on east
side, jettied to north front, the jetty bressumer on corner
brackets. Rebuilt ridge stack to second gable from north. Rear
of front wing with two 6/6 unhorned sashes, fenestration
otherwise of C19 casements.
INTERIOR: principal door leads to hall, opened through both
floors in 1899 and gallery inserted at first-floor level to
north with a turned timber balustrade. Single-flight staircase
to left in narrow well. Boxed bridging beams. Rear wing with
exposed posts to timber frame, jowled principal studs and
arched braces to tie beams. Jettied north element with
queen-post roof, the posts supported by arched braces rising
from tie beams.
(Paine C: The History of Eye: Diss: 1993-: 50).
Listing NGR: TM1491273822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings