This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.173 / 52°10'22"N
Longitude: 0.39 / 0°23'24"E
OS Eastings: 563532
OS Northings: 255443
OS Grid: TL635554
Mapcode National: GBR NBP.PG0
Mapcode Global: VHJGW.QN10
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318128
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49123
Location: Burrough Green, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Burrough Green
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Burrough Green St Augustine of Canterbury
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 65 NW BURROUGH GREEN THE GREEN
6/29 CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
19.8.59 Parish Church
Parish church C14, chancel C13. Originally with transepts and
chapels flanking chancel; the intersection of south transept
arch with an earlier chancel window indicates the two building
periods. Tower C14 with later belfry windows and parapet.
Porch C15. North and south aisles reroofed with cross gables in
late Cl7 and refenestrated with large cast iron lattice windows
in C19. Chancel and nave roof rebuilt in C17, chancel arch
removed in C19 and two C18 urns placed on responds. Transepts
and chapels demolished in C17 and openings blocked. Chancel
east window modern, replaces earlier five-light window. Walls
of flint and pebble rubble, plastered with dressings of clunch
and Barnack limestone; interior details in clunch. Roofs of
plain tiles. Red brick buttresses and wall repairs. West tower
of three stages has clasping buttresses of three stages. Cross
gabled aisles of three bays with small two-light windows above
large inserted windows. Remaining walls of transept projects
from south aisle. Interior: nave arcade of three bays with
octagonal piers, moulded capitals and bases, and two-centred
arches of two chamfered orders. Reduced chancel arch similar to
nave. Flat plastered ceilings to nave and chancel. Double
piscina with foiled drains and trefoiled arches. C14 sidelia.
Three C14 wall tombs with ogee crocketed canopies, central tomb
originally open to north chapel. Table tombs in north aisle,
C14, with two recumbent figures. Octagonal font dated 1672.
C15 glass reset in east window. Pine pews with raised and
VCH, Vol. VI, p.146.
Palmer, History of Burrough Green, p43, 1939 (Monuments p56).
Pevsner, Buildings of England, p.309.
RCHM (Cambs notes), 1951.
Listing NGR: TL6353255443
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings