History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill Barn Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorpe-le-Soken, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8555 / 51°51'19"N

Longitude: 1.1605 / 1°9'37"E

OS Eastings: 617745

OS Northings: 222162

OS Grid: TM177221

Mapcode National: GBR VRK.L6T

Mapcode Global: VHLCS.2MCD

Entry Name: Mill Barn Farmhouse

Listing Date: 6 August 1985

Last Amended: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322624

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120330

Location: Thorpe-le-Soken, Tendring, Essex, CO16

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

Built-Up Area: Thorpe-le-Soken

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Thorpe le Soken

Listing Text

THORPE-LE-SOKEN MILL LANE
TM 1622-1722 (west side)

8/101 Mill Barn Farmhouse,
6.8.85 formerly listed as End
Cottage, The Cottage,
Earlmead and Mill
Cottage

- II

Wrongly shown on OS map as Earlsmead and Mil Cottage. Farmhouse, converted and
extended to form 4 cottages, now combined. C18 and C19. Mainly of painted
brick in various bonds, roofed with mixed red and blue handmade clay tiles, some
pantiles and slate. Complex plan comprising (1) main range facing SE, with
internal stack at right end and rear stack at left end, and outshut with
catslide roof to rear (formerly The Cottage and End Cottage), (2) at left end,
wing extending forwards, with external stack in front (formerly Earlsmead), (3)
wing to rear of it, with gambrel roof, (4) wing to left with gambrel roof, stack
at right end, and early C20 extensions to left and front (formerly Mill
Cottage), (5) parallel range to rear of (4) with rear stack, and C20 lean-to
extension with felted roof to rear. One storey with attics. Scattered
fenestration, C19 and C20. 4 C20 doors. At the time of survey, September 1985,
this group of cottages was being combined and renovated. Named after Thorpe
Little Mill, c.1820, of which only the roundhouse remains, opposite.


Listing NGR: TM1774522162

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.