History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Summerhouse About 450 Metres North North East of Stratfield Saye House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stratfield Saye, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3525 / 51°21'8"N

Longitude: -0.9924 / 0°59'32"W

OS Eastings: 470263

OS Northings: 161969

OS Grid: SU702619

Mapcode National: GBR B5N.1YB

Mapcode Global: VHDXC.R86K

Entry Name: Summerhouse About 450 Metres North North East of Stratfield Saye House

Listing Date: 23 May 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326256

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354789

Location: Stratfield Saye, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG7

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Stratfield Saye

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Stratfield Saye with Hartley Wespall with Stratfield Turgis

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Stratfield Mortimer

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-

STRATFIELD SAYE
SU76SW STRATFIELD SAYE PARK
289-0/3/10006 Summerhouse about 450 metres
NNE of Stratfield Saye House

GV II

Garden summerhouse. Dated 1846. Built for the first Duke of Wellington. Timber-framed,
clad in boards and faced in rustic sticks forming patterns. Gabled roof covered in metal or
asbestos sheets. Rectangular plan, open at front and rear and divided into two compartments.
Designed in the form of a little temple. Arcaded 3-bay front and rear with thin polygonal
columns, segmental arches and pedimental gable, one gable with rusticwork pierced and
shaped bargeboards, the other with bargeboards replaced by sections of bark under the
verges. INTERIOR: Rusticwork patterns on wall benches and elaborate rusticwork patterns
on the walls and ceiling and with date 1846 and Royal Crown and inscription 'Dieu et Mon
Droit' and the Ducal coronet with the family motto 'Vertutis Fortuna Comes'. HISTORY:
The summerhouse was built by the first Duke of Wellington in 1846 to commemorate a
visit to Stratfield Saye by Queen Victoria.


Listing NGR: SU6820761198

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.