This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3874 / 53°23'14"N
Longitude: -1.9079 / 1°54'28"W
OS Eastings: 406221
OS Northings: 387843
OS Grid: SK062878
Mapcode National: GBR HY38.RF
Mapcode Global: WHBB6.N3NZ
Entry Name: Upper House
Listing Date: 21 April 1967
Last Amended: 12 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1334819
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82116
Location: Hayfield, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK22
District: High Peak
Civil Parish: Hayfield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Hayfield St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 08 NE
PARISH OF HAYFIELD
KINDER ROAD (east side)
(Formerly listed as Kinder Upper House)
House, formerly farmhouse, then hunting lodge. Dated 1754, substantial additions dated 1905. Coursed squared gritstone and rock-faced gritstone rubble. Gritstone dressings. Stone slate roofs. Stone gable end and ridge stacks. Stone coped gables with moulded kneelers. Part two storey, part single storey. Quadrangular plan, with central courtyard.
West elevation - C18 farmhouse to south. Central doorcase with modern glazed door. To either side three-light flush mullion windows, that to north being much enlarged. Above one four-light and one three-light flush mullion windows. To north early C20 wing in rock-faced rubble, ending in crosswing, also embattled tower abutting earlier farmhouse. Tower has four-centred moulded arch to porch above three-light mullioned window with dripmould over and sundial. Inner pointed door with Gothick tracery. To north two five-light and one three-light mullion windows with dripmoulds over. Various single light windows, including oval window. Above three two-light and one five-light similar mullioned windows, with two single light openings, one being oval. All dressing to this wing are rock-faced. Northern range in similar style except stonework is coursed. Western section has embattled parapets with various mullioned or single light windows with dripmoulds over. Large pointed arch through to courtyard. Beyond to east lower garage wing.
South elevation - embattled two storey tower with four-centred arch below and two stepped buttresses. Four-light mullion window above with round headed lights. Dripmould over with scroll stops. Bartizan to east corner of tower. To east single storey hall with low eaves, through which protrudes a large mullioned and transomed window with leaded lights, stained glass in parts. Door to east lintel dated 1905. To west two-light mullion window.
East wing - single storey with two and three-light mullion windows. Internal courtyard is paved and cobbled. Rear of buildings in keeping with facades. Four semi-circular steps to hall door with lintel dated 1754.
Interior of hall has fine medieval timbers re-used from church, in the ceiling and on the walls.
Listing NGR: SK0622187843
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings