History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Mill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stapleford Abbotts, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6566 / 51°39'23"N

Longitude: 0.1666 / 0°9'59"E

OS Eastings: 549965

OS Northings: 197540

OS Grid: TQ499975

Mapcode National: GBR RK.BN2

Mapcode Global: VHHMT.TMYC

Entry Name: The Old Mill House

Listing Date: 29 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337302

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118691

Location: Stapleford Abbotts, Epping Forest, Essex, RM4

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Theydon Bois

Listing Text

STAPLEFORD ABBOTTS ONGAR ROAD
TQ 49 NE
2/15 The Old Mill
House
GV II
House, C18 (associated with Passingford Mill, 200 metres to the SE), altered
in C19 and C20. Red brick, Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles.
Aligned approx. N-S, aspect E, chimney stack in S wall, internal chimney stack
at N end. C19 chimney stack at NW corner. Single-storey extension to N, roofed
with red clay Roman tiles, C19. Small single-storcy extension at SW corner,
C19. 2 storeys. E elevation, central glazed doer, C20, with simple doorcase
and moulded and bracketed hood, C18. One C20 double-hung sash window in
original aperture with segmental brick arch, one C20 casement window in widened
aperture. First floor, 2 double-hung sash windows (one early C19, one C20), and
C20 bow window in original aperture. Dentilled course below eaves. Roof in 3
parallel ranges aligned E-W, presenting 3 hipped ends. Schedule of 1952
reported diagonal shafts on N chimney stack, not now present. On S gable end,
wooden stundial, one plank missing, with remains of painted inscription 'AD 1635
Horas non numero nisi serenas'. RCHM 3.


Listing NGR: TQ4996597540

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.