This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6864 / 51°41'11"N
Longitude: 0.6655 / 0°39'55"E
OS Eastings: 584347
OS Northings: 201991
OS Grid: TL843019
Mapcode National: GBR QMQ.72C
Mapcode Global: VHJKC.HW52
Entry Name: The Old Bakery
Listing Date: 30 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337435
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117431
Location: Purleigh, Maldon, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Purleigh
Built-Up Area: Purleigh
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Purleigh All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
PURLEIGH PURLEIGH STREET
TL 80 SW
The Old Bakery
House and ancillary buildings. Early C18, extended in early C19. Timber
framed, partly plastered, partly tile-hung, partly clad with red brick in
Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Ancillary buildings
weatherboarded with slate roof, and of red brick in Flemish bond roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing S with central stack, originally forming
a lobby-entrance (now blocked). Extended to right by one bay, with parallel
range to rear, and one rear stack, in early C19. C19 brick stable block to
right, converted to a bakehouse, originally freestanding, later connected to
house by weatherboarded link. 2 storeys. 3-window range of early C19 sashes of
12 lights, with crown glass. Front elevation hung with plain and convex-edged
tiles. Right return of brick, with on the ground floor one early C19 sash of 16
lights, and on the first floor one early C19 sash of 12 lights. Flush 4-panel
door in right return. 2 wood-burning hearths, reduced for C20 grates.
Chamfered transverse beams. The stable block has one C20 casement on the ground
floor, and on the first floor one C19 casement and one blocked window aperture.
Halved door. It contains a coal-fired side-flue baker's oven, c.1890, which was
in commercial use until 1959.
Listing NGR: TL8434701991
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings