History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shelley Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ongar, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7225 / 51°43'21"N

Longitude: 0.2474 / 0°14'50"E

OS Eastings: 555328

OS Northings: 205034

OS Grid: TL553050

Mapcode National: GBR MGL.WYF

Mapcode Global: VHHMH.7YNW

Entry Name: Shelley Hall

Listing Date: 11 April 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337516

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117860

Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Ongar

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Chipping Ongar with Shelley

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text

TL 50 NE ONGAR SHELLEY
2/146 Church Lane
Shelley Hall

- 11*

House. Originally early Cl4. Hall house with later additions including Cl8
and 1869 bricking-up. Timber framed with gault brick cladding and red brick
dressing to doors and windows and central band and vari-colour moulded band
to eaves. 2 storeys and attics with flint and brick lined Cl6 cellar. Red
plain tiled roof. Hall range to left with ball finial to gable end and stone
coping Two gabled crosswings to right with ball finial at gable end. Flat roof
single storey extension to far right. Left crosswing has 2 storey C18 bay
windows to left of which is a gabled, gault brick porch, with stone coping, ball
finial, Moorish arch with broached springing and six panelled door, above which
is a Crown and Griffins head hatchment and date 1869. Forward left, external
contemporary Cl9 chimney stack with 2 octagonal shafts and octagonal shaft to
right rear. 1:1:1 window range of Cl8 small paned, double hung sliding sash
windows with sidelights, the bays with 3 lights. Internally, the original
heavily sooted Cl4 roof structure with 4 armed square Crown post with moulded
capital. This building altered and enlarged, probably by John Greene,a date on
door lintel 1587 would be compatable. There is a small side room in the roof
with 8 painted panels and painted intermediate studs. One panel depicts a
Cockerel and the others running foliar designs. A fine late C16 early C17
carved oak chimney piece. Cl8 staircase, doors and moulded surrounds. Cl8
panelled room with fine Cl8 fireplace. Original shutters to some rooms. RCHM
3.


Listing NGR: TL5532805034

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.