History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Red House

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Yeldham, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0284 / 52°1'42"N

Longitude: 0.5906 / 0°35'26"E

OS Eastings: 577822

OS Northings: 239835

OS Grid: TL778398

Mapcode National: GBR QHC.S58

Mapcode Global: VHJHS.683V

Entry Name: Red House

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337999

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114462

Location: Little Yeldham, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Little Yeldham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Little Yeldham

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Yeldham

Listing Text

TL 73 NE LITTLE YELDHAM
4/ll Red House
7.8.1952

II

House, early C17, extended in late C17 and C19. Timber framed, partly exposed,
partly plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 6 bays aligned NE-SW,
aspect SE, with rear wing of 3 bays at SW end, forming an L-plan with chimney
stack at junction. Rear stack at NE end, with C19 extension beyond. Entrance/
stair hall between these wings, dated 1679. 2 storeys. The SE elevation has
exposed framing, jettied with 7 scrolled brackets. C20 door, 4 C20 sash windows
on ground floor, and 2 blocked original windows each with a single ovolo
mullion. On first floor, 3 C20 sash windows and 2 small original windows.
Hipped roof. The timber frame is exposed also on the SW elevation. The NW
elevation of the stair hall has an Ipswich window and a carved facade gable
with the inscription: 16 C 79 with lunettes and egg-and-dart soffit. The
TS
interior has an ovolo-moulded doorway (restored on one jamb), chamfered beams
with lamb's tongue stops, and a hearth with depressed brick arch, repaired.
An old photograph shows the SE elevation brick-nogged (Adrian Corder Birch:
A History of Little Yeldham), but the nogging has been removed. The inscription
relates to Thomas and Sarah Cracherode, 1679, whose memorials are in the chancel
of the parish church. The farm was formerly called Goddinges. RCHM 4
(inscription wrongly recorded).


Listing NGR: TL7782239835

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.