History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edwards College

A Grade II Listed Building in South Cerney, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6768 / 51°40'36"N

Longitude: -1.9302 / 1°55'48"W

OS Eastings: 404919

OS Northings: 197557

OS Grid: SU049975

Mapcode National: GBR 3RC.YLC

Mapcode Global: VHB2Y.H3DX

Entry Name: Edwards College

Listing Date: 2 August 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341003

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129566

Location: South Cerney, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: South Cerney

Built-Up Area: South Cerney

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: South Cerney All Hallows

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
South Cerney

Listing Text

SOUTH CERNEY SILVER STREET
SU 0497-0597
(east side)
14/265 Edwards College
2.8.73
II
Row of 12 almshouses. Founded 1838 by Anne Edwards for widows of
clergy and built by J.P. St. Aubyn in Tudor Gothic style. Ashlar,
stone slate roof, 6 large ashlar ridge stacks with offset and 3
grouped flues to each with continuous moulded cornice, central
round ridge bellcote. Two storeys and attic. Single long range
with central and end projecting wings linked by 4-centred arcade
with open spandrels and decorative parapet. Recessed sections
flanking centre have 4 stepped coped gables each with single stone-
framed light, centre 2 gables being larger. First floor has two-
light and single stone-framed windows with square hoodmould,
arranged as 2/1 and 1/2 in alternation. Behind arcade on ground
floor each house has 3-light hollow-mould stone mullion, No 3 only
being painted, and vertical battened Tudor-arched doors with glazed
top section in chamfered flush stone surrounds. End bays have
coped gable with finial, kneelers and very small square light, with
2 and 3-light arched stone mullion with square hoodmould below.
Central bay has central gable with finial and kneelers and Latin
inscription commemorating foundation of College in 1838. Complex
roof line behind with opposed dormers on gable, and flanking
dormers, all with decorative bargeboards. Three 2-light arched
stone mullions with square hoodmould, and two 3-light on ground
floor flanking large central archway with enriched spandrels, with
2 doorways to houses set back inside. Backs of each almshouse
have single storey projecting service wing.


Listing NGR: SU0491997557

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.