History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whittington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.8844 / 51°53'3"N

Longitude: -1.9822 / 1°58'55"W

OS Eastings: 401321

OS Northings: 220643

OS Grid: SP013206

Mapcode National: GBR 2MG.X99

Mapcode Global: VHB1R.LWGT

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 26 January 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341364

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129243

Location: Whittington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Whittington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Whittington St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Charlton Abbots

Listing Text


2/138 Church of St. Bartholomew

Anglican parish church. C12, C16 and C18, restored c1872 by
Waller. Varied stonework treatment including ashlar, ashlar south
transept. Stone slate roof, square weather-boarded bell turret.
Plan; nave, with projecting C19 porch on south side, chancel with
possibly late C16-C17 south chapel on south and C19 vestry against
west wall. South aisle (incorporatng C12 elements) but rebuilt on
smaller scale probably C18. Bell turret at east end of nave.
Chancel north wall; C18 two-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned
window with 'Tudor'-arched heads to each light, carved spandrels
and stopped hood. Monument to Giles Watkins, former curate, died
1690 right; limestone with raised inscription plaque within margin
with bolection moulding, winged angel's head at top, foliate
scrollwork at sides and bottom. Decorated 2-light east window with
stopped hood. Chancel south wall; 2-light C16 window with pointed
headed lights and carved spandrels and stopped hood. East wall of
south transept; C19 flat-chamfered pointed archway right of 6-
light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned late C16-C17 window with
stopped hood. Similar window with king mullion in south wall.
Lean-to vestry against west wall of south transept with trefoil-
headed single light on south. West wall of vestry incorporates
various reused stonework the principal being part of the head of
C12 archway with chevron and roll moulded ornament, the upper part
of a flat-chamfered lancet window and the central part of an
unfinished ovolo-moulded window. Blocked rectangular window in
west gable end of south transept. Two-light hollow-chamfered
stone-mullioned window with pointed headed light in south wall of
south transept. Nave west end; wide 'Tudor'-arched doorway with
hollow-moulded surround and finely carved foliate spandrels (now
blocked). Two-light C19 stone-mullioned casement with diamond
leaded panes towards apex of gable. Flat-chamfered plinth to nave
north wall, two C19 clamp buttresses with offsets. Two C18 two-
light windows with 'Tudor-arched heads, carved spandrels and
stopped hoods left of projecting gabled porch. Projecting C19
porch towards west end with wide early studded planks door with
strap hinges within hollow-moulded surround with blind quatrefoil
decoration in spandrels and stopped hood. Small bull's-eye window
with moulded surround towards apex of gable. Flagged floor within
porch, stone bench seats along side walls, plank door with strap
hinges within 'Tudor'-arched doorway to nave. Interior; nave
divided from south aisle by 2-bay arcade comprising C12 arch of 2
orders (left) and double-chamfered pointed Perpendicular arch with
fine C15 head corbels supporting inner arch. South transept
divided from nave by 2-bay C19 arcade with pointed arches and
central octagonal pier. Chancel formerly divided from nave by rood
screen (removed during restoration in 1872). Nave roof; 4-bays
with C19 king post trusses. Chancel; 4 narrow bays with ..Z19 arch-
braced roof. Three-bay panelled in arch-braced roof to transept.
Lean-to roof to south aisle. Arched recess c2m in length, probably
formerly forming covering to tomb in north wall of nave with
moulded surround (unfinished on left-hand side). C18 panelling to
walls of sanctuary reputed to have been made from former pews in
Sevenhampton Church. Double cupboard doors with decorative hinges
and reused fragments of C17 carved left of a partly set into
panelling. Carved stone bearing 3 heraldic shields each within
trefoil headed C12 round-headed window at west end of south aisle.
Flagged floors throughout. Furniture and fittings; octagonal
stone font of c1200 immediately inside south door. C19 pews and
pulpit. Monuments; monument to Richard Thayer, died 1639.
Limestone with segmental head with scrolled decoration, console at
bottom and scrollwork either side. Slatestone tablet to Margaret
Sheat, died 1692 and Margaret Barnes, died 1677. Unidentified
monument right of Richard Thayer monument with partially legible
partly incised and painted inscription, wide limestone margin with
incised decoration based on trefoil. Monument below to Jacob
Ingram, died 1670. Slatestone tablet within limestone surround
with 2 female figures either side of inscription , one holding 2
doves the other 2 children, top and bottom of monument defaced.
Large limestone monument right to John Ebsworth, died 1733 and
Dorcus his wife, died 1731. Limestone with segmental pediment.
Moulded margin around inscription. Scrollwork at bottom
incorporating tulip-like flowers. Console at bottom C18 monument
to John Taylor, servant at Sandywell Park, on nave north wall. C18
monument to another servant on north wall of south aisle. Brass to
Richard Cotton (q.v. Whittington Court), died 1556 and Margaret his
wife, died 1560 below step up to sanctuary. Two figures in brass,
3 vacant sunken fields between figures, one formerly contained a
shield and the others represented children, one an infant wrapped
in swaddling clothes. Brass inscription plaque below figures.
Three early C14 life-sized stone effigies within transept. One
represents a lady clad in wimple and simple gown, others are of
Knights in armour with swords and crossed legs. The effigies
possible represent Richard de Crupes, died 1278 and Richard his
son, both Lords of the Manor. The lady may represent the wife of
one of the Knights. C19 stained glass in east window, grisaille
glass in south window of sanctuary. (David Verey, The Buildings of
England; The Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: SP0132120643

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.